Power Steering Pulley - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Steering Pulley
Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:00 PM
My car was making a nasty squealing noise for a while and finally the belt came off completely, looking closer I see the pulley is off of the pump, I'm not the greatest when it comes to these things but I'm assuming a bolt holds that in place, and I don't see one.

Can I just get a bolt to put the pulley back in place or do I need a new pump since the pulley came off completely. At the moment it's kind of just sitting there, very loose.

Re: Power Steering Pulley
Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:00 PM
Bah, no edit button. "My car" meaning, 2000 Sunfire automatic.
Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:28 PM
Pulley is a press fit... You will have to find a shop to do it or rent a power steering pulley service kit from a local parts store. (Advance and oreilly's come to mind as renting tools)

If it is loose then you need a new pulley... I would start calling around to parts stores to get a new one... Dorman makes them and that GM style is relatively common.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:32 PM
So all I need is the pulley and I can rent the install kit? Seems kind of painless
Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:53 PM
Jeremy Davis wrote:So all I need is the pulley and I can rent the install kit? Seems kind of painless

Likely (unless there is something wrong with the shaft on the pump) Yes and usually the hardest part is getting the old pulley to come off rather than the new one on...

Usually its easier especially if its the 2200 to pull the pump out and refill with fresh fluid going back in though... It took me all of about 30 mins to do a pump on my 2200 and that involves swapping the old pulley over.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:51 PM
Well, I can see how it would be difficult to get the pulley off but, the pulley is already completely off the pump it seems. Does that mean there might be some part of the pulley still stuck in the pump and the pulley is just broken off of that? I'll take a picture tomorrow of what I'm dealing with for clarification.
Monday, October 31, 2011 1:40 PM
Well, I've got the pump out, and the hole where the pulley would go, it has a nasty dent in it from where the pully was getting warped out of place, so I'm assuming that means I need a new pump. I have an 03 manual cavalier, is the pump the same? Can I just take that one out and use it on my 00 auto sunfire?
Monday, October 31, 2011 4:06 PM
Don't think so... Eco and 2200 are different.

If in doubt... a new pump is only about $60 typically and readily available...

Monday, October 31, 2011 5:14 PM
Eco is cam driven, 2.2 and 2200 are Pulley, totally different design

Monday, October 31, 2011 5:15 PM
those pump are different, and not interchangeable

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:02 PM
Lol I didn't need 3 responses, the first one was fine.

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:17 PM
Quick question..... i have a 97 cavi 2.2. I bought a pump. No pulley included..... the old shaft came right out of the pump and i cant remove the pulley..... it has an alan key on the pulley side. Even in a vice i cant remove it. Does this mean i spin the pulley off the shaft??
Saturday, June 13, 2015 10:11 AM
My 99 2.2 had a press on pulley but it had a screw hole not alan. It should be pressed on. Unless some one made another pump work on your car or 97 different.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search