Passlock Bypass - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Passlock Bypass
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:49 PM
I've been having a problem with Passlock disabling the injectors by enabling tamper mode everytime I go to restart the car.

After the 10 Minute Reset procedure, the car will start but it's a never ending cycle.

I ordered a new key from GM, but it didn't help.

I decided to simply bypass the entire Passlock system and took it to a reputable audio/security shop in DFW, but he said they couldn't get it to bypass.

Is there a no-issue 100% sure way of bypassing Passlock?

They sounded really knowledgable, but they simply couldn't get it to work.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L
Auto

1997 Pontiac Sunfire

Re: Passlock Bypass
Friday, September 02, 2011 6:55 AM
Its something tripping the theft system. Grounds ok. ignition system working properly? I would take sounds like BCM issue, Best advice to give ya, Grab these from the auto wreckers and see if that doesn't work, Then dealership.

good luck.
Friday, September 02, 2011 7:18 AM
the key, other than mechanically turning the lock cylinder, is really not a part of the passlock system. the system does not use the bcm but rather the ipc and pcm and passlock cylinder.
You next step is to post the codes from the ipc when the system enters tamper mode.

I know how to bypass the passkeyII system but not the passlock.
Friday, September 02, 2011 9:19 PM
I've heard a couple of people mention checking the grounds. Could this really be the issue? Where/what do I need to look for?

The cars starts but regularly enters tamper mode.

I've noticed sometimes the car will start up right after turning it off. In these cases I have to let the car sit for longer than 30 minutes or so to get it into tamper mode.

In other cases, it goes into tamper mode right away.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:21 AM
no problem bypassing the Passlock.

I read this on one of these forums a few years ago and it works fine, my Passlock system is in fail safe mode and the light is always on and the car always starts.

Remove the cowling around the ignition switch. Look under the switch, you will see a small connector with two wires coming from it, this is the Passlock system. Start the car, do not do this with car turned off, it must be running. Disconnect the small two wire connector, now the Passlock light should come on. The Passlock system is now in fail safe mode and is disabled until you plug the connector back in. It works and has worked for the last three years on my car. Only problem I have is that someone keeps plugging the small connector back in and I think it is a grandchild, but I start the car and disconnect and the car is in fail safe mode again.
Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:26 AM
no problem bypassing the Passlock.

I read this on one of these forums a few years ago and it works fine, my Passlock system is in fail safe mode and the light is always on and the car always starts.

Remove the cowling around the ignition switch. Look under the switch, you will see a small connector with two wires coming from it, this is the Passlock system. Start the car, do not do this with car turned off, it must be running. Disconnect the small two wire connector, now the Passlock light should come on. The Passlock system is now in fail safe mode and is disabled until you plug the connector back in. It works and has worked for the last three years on my car. Only problem I have is that someone keeps plugging the small connector back in and I think it is a grandchild, but I start the car and disconnect and the car is in fail safe mode again.
Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:08 PM
I heard that radio shack has resisters you can use to bypass the Passlock system. Basically bypass unit that is used as the same method with the use of a auto start system.

Heres a link : http://www.automotiveforums.com/t698859-how_to_bypass_faulty_passlock_system_.html
Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:44 PM
rich weeks wrote:I heard that radio shack has resisters you can use to bypass the Passlock system. Basically bypass unit that is used as the same method with the use of a auto start system.

Heres a link : http://www.automotiveforums.com/t698859-how_to_bypass_faulty_passlock_system_.html

It's easier to just disconnect the harness.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 7:41 PM
midnightrun wrote:I've been having a problem with Passlock disabling the injectors by enabling tamper mode everytime I go to restart the car.

After the 10 Minute Reset procedure, the car will start but it's a never ending cycle.

I ordered a new key from GM, but it didn't help.

I decided to simply bypass the entire Passlock system and took it to a reputable audio/security shop in DFW, but he said they couldn't get it to bypass.

Is there a no-issue 100% sure way of bypassing Passlock?

They sounded really knowledgable, but they simply couldn't get it to work.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L
Auto

I had this same problem with my 98 grand am. Eventually it will fail to start ever because the passlock system is defective. They have a short lifespan and can cost 1000 to replace. Luckily I found this site http://newrockies.com?ap_id=np9911 and they sell a part that bypasses it completely so you never have to deal with it again. It works with pretty much every gm vehicle. you should check it out because it saved me a lot of headache.
Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:15 AM
It's the bcm causing ur problem I just recently had a similar problem in my 04 sunfire that was putting the car into theft mode and disableling the fuel pump along with causing a couple of other problems.. but ur theft system is controlled by the bcm so that should be the problem I just got one at the junkyard and tried it did the security system relearn and it started up..
Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:46 AM
Lance Detwiler wrote:It's the bcm causing ur problem I just recently had a similar problem in my 04 sunfire that was putting the car into theft mode and disableling the fuel pump along with causing a couple of other problems.. but ur theft system is controlled by the bcm so that should be the problem I just got one at the junkyard and tried it did the security system relearn and it started up..
his 97 doesnt have a bcm.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:15 PM
My bad thought it was newer does he still have a pcm
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search