New member here... bought 2002 Cavalier, with 2.2 SFI... need help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New member here... bought 2002 Cavalier, with 2.2 SFI... need help
Friday, February 10, 2012 8:55 AM
Hello,

I just bought a 2002 Cavalier, 2.2l SFI engine (155,000 miles), manual trans on Saturday...

Anyway, picked the car up the other day, and just started looking the car over more carefully... and there seems to be some noise possibly coming from the timing chain... it doesn't make a loud racket, but more of a pop and clack kind of noise every few seconds... is that the timing chain?

Also, I seem to be confused about these engines... are the 2.2l SFI considered an ecotec, or no? And are these engines confirmed to be interference engines?

Re: New member here... bought 2002 Cavalier, with 2.2 SFI... need help
Friday, February 10, 2012 2:04 PM
As for the timing chain it seems that it could be the timing chain and as for the 2.2sfi no its not the ecotec the 2.2ecos started to come in the 02 and up sunfires and cavaliers. If it says 2.2ecotec on the top of the motor that is usally the easiest way of knowing if u have one of these motors...
Friday, February 10, 2012 9:27 PM
The 2200 SFI has a Timing BELT, the 2.2 Ecotec has a Timing CHAIN. Please confirm which motor you have. The LN2 motor or 2200 will have 2200 SFI stamped into the intake snorkel thing at the top of the motor. The Ecotec motor should very blatantly say Ecotec on the top of the motor, if I remember correctly.

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:37 PM
Ecotec = exhaust out the back, intake in the front.
2.2 SFI = exhaust out the front, intake in the back.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:32 PM
It's definitely a 2200 SFI.... it's gotta be a chain though... Autozone shows it as a chain? eBay has chains....

Anyway, is it an interference engine or no?

B.A. Bible from Bob Jones University - 2009
Currently working on a Nursing degree from a Community College.
Monday, February 13, 2012 12:20 PM
just a note autozone's system is not correct on the 2002 introduction of the ECOTEC, it lists it as an option in the computer, but the parts may or may not be correct for this. when i did my swap, i sent my parents out to buy a radiator, and went to go put it in, it was the radiator for the 2.2 sfi and 2.4, even tho they selected 2.2 DOHC. went back, pulled 03 cavalier/sunfire, pulled right radiator. same engine selection. that being said those systems are not good for change over years, so they really can't be trusted, and think, if a professional autoparts store has trouble getting this right, what do you thin is going to happen on ebay?
Monday, February 13, 2012 1:44 PM
Pretty sure its a chain, it was when I did mine when I had that set up.... lol

Friday, April 06, 2012 5:12 AM
Def. a chain. In fact, I struggle to think of many North American-assembled GM cars that have a belt to be honest.

I'm a 6ft. tall, 250+ lb., man, and I proudly drive the Sunfire. My wife drives the half-ton 4x4...

Friday, April 06, 2012 10:07 AM
It looks like there are 2 different 2.2Liters, the newer DOHC which is what I think you all mean by 2200, and the usual 2.2L (8th digit = 4)
1G1JC124 <---
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search