How to reset airbag light? Checking 95 engine codes? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to reset airbag light? Checking 95 engine codes?
Sunday, October 07, 2012 8:13 PM
I have two separate questions but I will put them in one thread.

I recently replaced the heater core in my 95 cavalier RS. I had the airbags out of the car. Now that I finished the job and reinstalled everything, the airbag light is on. Everything was clipped back together and plugged in correctly.. which leads me to believe that just unplugging it triggered the light. Any advice on this and how to get rid of it?

Secondly, how do I go about checking codes on my 95? I know the OBD1 jumper to flash the light wouldn't work, and I also know that my car isn't OBD2. How do I check codes? Is there specific ports to jump to get the light to flash?

Thanks!

1994 Pontiac Trans Am 6-speed
Vortech V1 @ 7psi, Eagle rods, Low compression pistons, Comp Cam, Ported Heads, Roller Rockers, Ported Intake Manifold, Holley 58mm TB, 42# Injectors, MSD Optispark, MSD Coil, F.A.S.T ECU, Crane Cams Ignition, Mid-length headers catless, Hurst shifter, Adjustable panhard bar, ZR1 wheels. She gets the job done.

Re: How to reset airbag light? Checking 95 engine codes?
Thursday, December 05, 2013 12:07 PM
I was going to start a new thread on this but since I have the exact same issue I'll just add it on here.

Same deal, replaced the heater core and had everything out, put everything back and connected properly and the airbag light is now on. It flashes six times when I turn the key on and then stays on solid. I reconnected the passenger AB connection under the dash cover, the steering wheel connector and the impact sensor in front of the radiator, did I miss something?

Everything was fine before I did the heater core. I've got the ABS light on too, that's new but the car has been off the road for a few months and it used to come on and off sometimes.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 3:25 PM
Okay, I found the problem for my car at least. I hadn't fully inserted the AB plug into the steering wheel AB socket. I thought it was, snapped the safety in and everything but it wasn't. I reinserted the plug, hooked power back up and the airbag light blinked 7 times and stayed off which I think is normal.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:45 PM
blinking 7 times I think means there is an issue and it is disabled. Just like a blow head light, when you start the car the DRL light flashes and so do your head lights a few times.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:10 PM
If it was disabled wouldn't the light stay on?
Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:36 PM
SRS or air bag system is a stand alone system that does a self test at each key on. It detects the problem and shuts itself off so it cannot hurt a person. There must be an issue somewhere. Maybe the connection at the radiator support. Air bag wires and connectors are allmost always orange and yellow. If an airbag has an issue it will ally stay lit but if there is another issue where it could hurt someone it turns off. Just like the abs light. If your tail lights are out the abs won' t work on most cars or the cruise control. If the 3rd brake light is out on most cars the abs light will stay on or flash. They are stand alone systems.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 9:32 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:SRS or air bag system is a stand alone system that does a self test at each key on. It detects the problem and shuts itself off so it cannot hurt a person. There must be an issue somewhere. Maybe the connection at the radiator support. Air bag wires and connectors are almost always orange and yellow. If an airbag has an issue it will ally stay lit but if there is another issue where it could hurt someone it turns off. Just like the abs light. If your tail lights are out the abs won' t work on most cars or the cruise control. If the 3rd brake light is out on most cars the abs light will stay on or flash. They are stand alone systems.

So for the average person the only way they'd know their airbags were offline would be to catch those few seconds of flashing at startup?

Thanks for the tips on the ABS, I'll check that out tomorrow.
Saturday, December 07, 2013 1:03 PM
I don't know where this crap came from... but if the airbag light flashes 7 times and goes out, it's working normally. It's the same on ALL GM vehicles.

There is no burnt out third light detection system on GM cars like what you've spewed there Rob. Get your facts straight.
Saturday, December 07, 2013 2:46 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1127300-abs-inop-light-because-third-brake-light.html

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/viewtopic,p,1439218.html

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/abs-light-brake-light-673205/

ABS light comes on in most cars when there is a blown 3rd brake light. I originally found this out working on a trailblazer SS that had this issue. Someone installed an LED 3rd brake light when it didn't have one and this disabled the abs. It required a resister to use the LED tail light then the abs worked. Just use google and you will see a lot of other cars have this same issue.

Saturday, December 07, 2013 2:51 PM
When the ignition is turned ON, the instrument panel cluster (IPC) flashes the AIR BAG indicator seven times. The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs diagnostic tests on the SIR system and then commands the IPC to turn the AIR BAG indicator OFF if no SIR malfunctions exist. The AIR BAG indicator is controlled by the SDM via Class 2 serial data. If the Ignition 1 voltage is outside of the normal operating voltage range of 9-16 volts, the SDM will command the IPC to turn the AIR BAG indicator ON with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present.

Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:05 PM
Here is a troubleshooting guide
Attachments
airbag.pdf (49k)

Monday, December 09, 2013 12:28 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Just use google and you will see a lot of other cars have this same issue.

Not J-body cars.. and this is a J-body forum. You posted a troubleshooting guide for an N-body. Different.

Just stop. You've taken this thread far enough off topic as it is... and us bickering about it isn't fixing it. I'm just here to correct your mis-information.
Monday, December 09, 2013 12:30 AM
John Lenko wrote:I don't know where this crap came from... but if the airbag light flashes 7 times and goes out, it's working normally. It's the same on ALL GM vehicles.

There is no burnt out third light detection system on GM J-cars like what you've spewed there Rob. Get your facts straight.

My bad.. I missed a letter.
Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:41 AM
Okay, is the dust settled yet? Good.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. The best thing about forums is that when someone has and shares the wrong info someone else usually comes along to set things straight. There was an unusually low level of violence in this exchange.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search