Advice on replacing AC compressor on 1996 2.4L? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Advice on replacing AC compressor on 1996 2.4L?
Friday, March 01, 2013 5:16 PM
The AC on my wife's 1996 Cavalier LS Convertible 2.4L has been broken for years. Last summer I recharged it with UV-dye refrigerant, and it worked for a while, but then leaked out of the compressor (which I could easily see with a UV light). I also have a 1996 Cav vert which just started leaking oil from the compressor so I think mine will need to be replaced soon also.

Based on my research, I think I need to replace:
1) The compressor.
2) The accumulator/dryer.
3) The orifice tube (whatever that is).
4) Expansion valve. (Not sure about this or if it's part of the orifice tube.)
5) PAG oil. (Not sure about this.)
6) Refrigerant. (But first I'll have to take it to a shop to have it vacuum pumped dry.)

Questions:
1) Is the parts list above correct?
2) Is this something that I can (or should) do myself or should I let a mechanic do it. My mechanic said it would be about $500 including parts.
2) I guess that the refrigerant all leaked out so I don't think that I need to evacuate the refrigerant, before starting, do I?
3) AC compressors range from about $130 to $280 online. Anybody know if it's worth spending more money for name brands or new vs. remanufactured. There's an AC Delco part on Amazon for $175 that I'm leaning towards. The car has $100k, and will probably last a few more years. We don't need the AC very often due to the weather in northern CA.
4) Any other advice?

Re: Advice on replacing AC compressor on 1996 2.4L?
Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:26 AM
Seems about right, the expansion valve/orifice tube should be the same thing different name, it should use one or the other. Make sure you get any/all o-rings you will need to replace when its apart, also add some parts solvent to the list use it to flush the lines while replacing the parts. If you get fancy you can charge the system with compressed air after assembly and use soapy water on connections to check for leaks. (This will cut down on any troubleshooting thevshop has to do) After that take it to a shop and have them vac the system and make sure it holds vac, just another leak test.. then have them charge it up with the correct amount of refrigerant. They should be able to add the oil to the system while charging, assuming their machine is capable.

Have a nice day.
Friday, April 25, 2014 8:22 PM
A very belated thanks. I didn't fix the A/C last year and now with another summer coming, I'd like to do so. I'm inclined to buy the parts myself and have a shop do the work (unless somebody tells me that it's a DIY job). Does anybody have a recommendation on a compressor? Not sure if you get what you pay for or if it's worth paying more for a car with 107k miles on it. On Amazon, choices include:

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 4:35 PM
I also have a 1996 Z24 with the 2.4, I've done the compressor twice and would definitely say it is a do it yourself job. The first time was a compressor leak but the second time I replaced the compressor needlessly, as it turned out to be the A/C hose which is also easy to replace.

I have bought rebuilt compressors off eBay both times, I usually find them for $69 with free shipping and have had long life out of them. You can rent a Vacuum pump from Autozone for free. I have found Big Lots to have the cheapest 134a at $6.99 per can.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search