will a 99 gas tank fit in a 96? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
will a 99 gas tank fit in a 96?
Saturday, March 09, 2013 4:24 PM
Heres the deal. i have a 1996 2.2 cavalier that has a leaky gas tank. cant fill it over 1/2 tank. its annoying. now, i have a 99 Z24 tank and fuel pump with a bad fuel level sending unit, from a car i junked. If i swapped in the 1999 tank, would the 1996 fuel pump fit in there, with the lock ring set up? I know the 99 has the 2nd hole for the evap system and my 96 tank doesnt have that, but i would probably just leave the evap part in the tank to keep it sealed, and just not hook it up. Sooo, will this work? Or what are my options? I'm trying to get by as cheap as possible. its a winter beater.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: will a 99 gas tank fit in a 96?
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:46 PM
bump

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:25 AM
Physically it will fit, not 100% if the snap ring opening is the same size.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:47 AM
Also, If the fuel pump itself ends up being a different size, would the fuel level sending unit from the 96 pump fit on the 99 pump, so i could just use the 99 pump and 96 fuel level sending unit, if the 99 pump will wire up to the 96 harness, along with fuel lines? Like, are the 1996-1999 fuel pumps without the level sending units, the same?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:46 PM
The 99' fuel tank should physically fit, your 96' fuel pump should physically fit in the 99' tank as it still uses a snap ring instead of a lock ring like the later plastic tanks, but you will have to change your fill tube as it looks like 99's didn't have a vent tube like your 96', you will have to figure something out with the second hole on top of the tank, I would assume 99's used them for the vapor canister and that is probably how they were vented.

(Here's a random image of a 99' fuel tank)

It looks like a random mix of 96-98 and 2000+ technology

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:35 PM
I bought some bed-liner spray, and i'm spraying the whole tank sometime this week, and probably going to try to put it in my car this weekend. Wish me luck.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:59 AM
And does anybody know what that separate canister is that goes into the tank is? I tried looking it up, searched and searched, but i cant find anything to save my life...that round "canister" connects to an actual square black EVAP canister like on 2000+ cavaliers on the rear dummy axle. I gutted out the canister thing , and air moved freely through the hose coming off of it thats suppose to go to the evap canister, so i figured that would work for a vent tube if i ran it up about 1 foot along the filler neck.

If someone knows if the pump diameters are different sizes between 96 and 99, or some other reason this swap might not work, please speak up and let me know before i waste my time trying.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:19 AM
Sure is not the pump for the evap?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:05 AM
No its not that. All that was inside, was a type of floater that goes up and down, from how full the gas tank is. when the tank is full, it pushes up a floater, with a rubber arrow ontop that seals shut the passage that goes to the hose that splits off to 2, and goes to the square canister and fuel pump. the other hose coming off of it goes over to the side of the tank, and drops off. looks like a vent tube, but i couldnt get air to move freely through it. thats why i did what i did with the other plastic hose.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:20 PM
Going to try to put it in friday

Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:16 AM
Well, i got the gas tank in the car. drove it home. the gas tank that was in it before was leaking around the lock-ring seal for the fuel pump. forgot to check if the seal was any good or if there even was one on there before i put it all back in the other tank... I'll just have to fill it up, and see if it leaks...but after it was all said and done, the fuel gauge was pegged at "full"...i must have bumped the metal tabs on the level sender....so im going to have to drop it once again, and fix that some other day. But it works! Also, the wiring harness for a 96 pump and 99 pump is the same. I guess all that's different is the fuel level sending unit. otherwise, they seem to be same pump.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:22 PM
It fits

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search