Complete 2k manual swap and now no start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Complete 2k manual swap and now no start
Saturday, June 01, 2013 3:28 PM
Ok some of you may know from my photos and media thread that I am having trouble with starting the car.

My first issue was the fuel pumps wouldnt come on. Fixed that
Second issue was the clutch safety switch wasn't engaging to enable the car to crank, got that fixed.

Now my issue is the car will not turn over. Below is a list of things I have done to the car to try to remedy the no starting problem with help of some folks. Now before you say the issue is relearn, you have to be able to start the car and let it die before you can do the relearn.

I have the 2200 ignition coil swap by the way

Replaced wires, spark plugs, and ICM. I am not getting spark from any spark plugs

verified all wires are color matched after being soldered to the 2200 ignition wires

Now I have YET to check the PINK ignition wire to see if it is getting voltage.

My question is, WHERE do I check for voltage? On the pink wire under the underhood fuse panel? Or at the connection that plugs into the ICM?

Is there anything else you can think of that could be the issue?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: Complete 2k manual swap and now no start
Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:47 PM
Pink just indicates that it is IGNITION 1 voltage. Ignition 1 means that it is hot in bulb test, run and start.

whenever the key is in bulb test, run and start a pink wire should be hot.

how are you checking that you aren't getting spark?

also, relearn procedure doesn't mean the car will start then die... the only reason cars would start is from residual pressure in the fuel lines or whatever. relearns don't always have an engine that actually runs for a second.

also, do you have your ECT sensor and IAT plugged in? In a swap I did recently, the car would not fire. After going nuts for weeks, it turns out that ECT and IAT not being plugged in at the same time will cause a no-start.

side effect of no ECT sensor: the fuel pump will have a very long priming pulse. probably as a way to notify someone troubleshooting the car that the ECT sensor is malfunctioning, or not hooked up somehow.

Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:59 PM
Thanks for the info PJ. Also good to know that the car doesnt have to start while trying to do the relearn.

I am checking spark by taking the plug out of the head and grounded it to the engine, then cranking.

As we were cranking I noticed that the fuel pressure was dropping on my gauge, that still a theft issue?

My ECT and IAT's are plugged in and tight.

306 TQ
Sunday, June 02, 2013 2:47 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Thanks for the info PJ. Also good to know that the car doesnt have to start while trying to do the relearn.

I am checking spark by taking the plug out of the head and grounded it to the engine, then cranking.

As we were cranking I noticed that the fuel pressure was dropping on my gauge, that still a theft issue?

My ECT and IAT's are plugged in and tight.

fuel pressure dropping to what? I mean, if you have 30psi the engine should run... @!#$, I even drove a car that was in the teens and it still ran.

make sure your plugs are plugged in the right spot, because a lot of 2 pin connectors can be plugged into the wrong sensor. so be careful of that.

if still no spark, check with HPT to see if it's getting a tach signal... maybe crank position sensor not plugged in?
if STILL no start, time to check compression maybe.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 3:03 AM
I was going to suggest CPS as well. I recall reading a lot of issues on here with no starts tracing back to that.

You said no spark, coils wired in correctly? All ground wires secured? Im sure you double checked, but triple check that all connectors are plugged in. Swap out IAT, TPS, ECT... Make sure you have a good charge on the battery. Double check your alternator and wires... everything. Try to relearn as well?

Just running down any options. You know it ran before the swap so narrowing it down to what changed would be ideal...

Sunday, June 02, 2013 6:20 AM
PJ all sensors are plugged in, lastnight verified the crank signal is getting signal, volts, and ohms

Vince you talking about crank or campshaft sensor when you say CPS? I know people refer to it both ways. Either way see previous statement for crank sensor. Camshaft sensor I never ran one on my last setup, always started fine, no issues.

Ive been checking grounds and @!#$ for a week lol. All good, all clips and sensors are plugged in and battery is good..

Only thing left to do in lil while is the relearn.

306 TQ
Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:23 AM
Do the relearn...I bet thats the issue..

I swapped out a motor once and would not for the life of me start. Did the relearn and fire right up.
Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:27 AM
Doing relearn now.

306 TQ
Sunday, June 02, 2013 10:29 AM
Ok relearn worked this time! I have a gas gauge now and I have spark, verified that through my buddy, literally haha.

But, the car wont turn over still. I do not think my injectors are firing, the plugs do not smell of gas. Gas is getting to my fuel rail though.

We verified OHM's on each plug connector of the injectors with the key on. It could be that I wired them opposite from my old harness to this harness, who knows.

In the mean time, Any other suggestions as to why they would not be firing?

306 TQ
Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:48 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Ok relearn worked this time! I have a gas gauge now and I have spark, verified that through my buddy, literally haha.

But, the car wont turn over still. I do not think my injectors are firing, the plugs do not smell of gas. Gas is getting to my fuel rail though.

We verified OHM's on each plug connector of the injectors with the key on. It could be that I wired them opposite from my old harness to this harness, who knows.

In the mean time, Any other suggestions as to why they would not be firing?

Glad you have it narrowed down at least. Just gotta trace the injectors now. I wouldn't think that all 4 are not firing would be wiring issue instead of 4 bad injectors. Check your wiring.

Also, not turning over to me, means that it doesnt even turn over. Just a minor confusion is all. Now cranking but not starting sounds like a different ball game! Id hope to think that its not your fuel pump.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 2:40 PM
Yep pulling the injector wires here in a little bit. I doubt my injectors are bad, nothing changed on the engine side during the swap minus the harness.

On my injector clips both wires are red, so Im unsure as to how to put the injector wires coming from harness to the right red wire, ground to ground and signal to signal. I highly doubt I got all 8 wires backwards when I wired them up.

306 TQ

Sunday, June 02, 2013 3:43 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Yep pulling the injector wires here in a little bit. I doubt my injectors are bad, nothing changed on the engine side during the swap minus the harness.

On my injector clips both wires are red, so Im unsure as to how to put the injector wires coming from harness to the right red wire, ground to ground and signal to signal. I highly doubt I got all 8 wires backwards when I wired them up.

doubt in one hand, crap in the other, or swap wires and see which helps the problem first

Another question... since I dont know as much about the LD9... low impedance vs high impedance injectors? Did you have a driver for the other motor for them? Just a thought...

Monday, June 03, 2013 2:36 PM
do the relearn procedure again

sometimes it takes multiple relearns for all the components to get along.

injectors are bi-polar, doesn't matter which side is positive and which side is negative.

if your fuel pump is running, the injectors should be firing. if they aren't, I'd suspect it needs another relearn.

Friday, January 10, 2020 2:28 PM
Swapping auto to stick, and no start?
Check your neutral safety switch from your console. You will have to flip it to the start(park)position.

I made that mistake in 1980 on a 327, auto to 396 muncie in a 67 Camaro.

You can use it as a rudimentary ant theft switch if you leave it hidden.
Same thing from standard to auto swap I did in a 350V8 Turbo 350 S-10 swap I did in 1987.
That probably saved me from GTA from a shady gold digger G.F. with ulterior motives.

Never, ever mention bank accounts around "impressionable" 20 year old girls.

"Are you sure your A/F ratio is correct? That hole in your Block custom?"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search