Rough idle after replacing timing chain - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rough idle after replacing timing chain
Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:49 PM
I just replaced my timing chain, sprockets guides and used a 96 mechanical tensioner. I now have a slightly rough Idle. Only ran the car for a minute or 2 because I am waiting for a coolant tube for under the oil pan. Will be here tomorrow. Is this normal?

It's a 2000 2.4l by the way.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: Rough idle after replacing timing chain
Friday, July 19, 2013 3:31 PM
Fixed. Intake cam was off a tooth. I still have this annoying ticking/ rattle at 2500- 3,000 rpms and higher. Could it be a lifter? I am not to familiar with these engines. If its a lifter can the be taken apart and cleaned like pushrod engines.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:15 AM
I actually had this problem. Look for my post in this forum area. http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=167553&t=167553
Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:09 PM
I replaced my guides and still have a ticking. It's like having a baseball card on a bike hitting the spokes. It's been like this for a few years since I bought the car. I just spent $600 doing the timing chain. The guide I got online said I had to drain the oil an coolant so I got new stuff even though I just replaced it a month ago and then the bolt for my engine backer broke that holds the motor mount on so I had to get it drilled and tapped which was $100. I put a 96 tensioner which was $50 timing kit was $200 something, water pump, then I crushed the coolant line under thuan when my jack slipped off the engine bracket. This job was easy but a pain.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:46 PM
Here, try this link. down towards the middle it has something about the lash adjusters...
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&t=472510&a=2
Or, you could have a friend or whoever turn the engine over with your valve cover off. It could be possible that your timing chain/belt is still a little loose.
Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:54 PM
Well I sought the timing chain could get any tighter. There was absolutely no play and I used a mechanical tensioner not hydrolic.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:55 PM
Well I doubt*

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:59 PM
I also do not find any info on lash adjuster/ cam followers, anything like that for LD9s just Ecos.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:00 PM
Not sure man. I would say try the lash adjusters, but I'm not even sure if the 2.4's even have them or not. I know the ECO's do...
Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:02 PM
I just don't want to tear apart an engine that isn't in dire need of repair and have to replace gaskets others things without knowing what this issue is or could be without knowing a way to fix it.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:04 PM
True. I totally agree with you.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:03 AM
I data logged the car today and my bank one 02 sensor fluctuates a lot and the back on goes between .3-6v. Idles around .4. What is causing these codes? I tried 3 o2 sensors in the rear and also put a heated o2 sensor in the front and wired the heater into the rear. I also noticed my map sensor reads -9 in/hg. Isn't it suppose to idle at -20?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search