2002 Cavalier Dies While Driving - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 Cavalier Dies While Driving
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:04 AM
I have a 2002 Cavalier, it died on me the other day on a 45 minute trip while going down the road. I popped the clutch and it started back up. Made it another 15 minutes then it died again but bump starting didn't work. I had to pull over, tried to crank it back up, would turn over but no dice. So I started checking fuses, all ok. After about 30 minutes of trying nothing worked, so I call a buddy and I tried one more time... It started? I was able to make it a little closer to home and it did it again, temp said everything was ok (normally at 195 it was at 190) and this time I just waited. It started again after about 15 minutes and I made it home. It seemed like something was overheating I'm not sure. I thought maybe the fuel pump, but I do not know. I tried changing the filter and the relays, I blew through the fuel filter and it took some heavy breathing to get any air through. So I don't know if that was stressing the fuel pump that it was over heating and it caused it to stop, but even after changing the fuel filter it still left me on the side of the road for 30 minutes. I just don't want to spend all of this money on a fuel pump and that not be the problem. No check engine light either.

Re: 2002 Cavalier Dies While Driving
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 7:38 AM
Have someone check the pressure at the fuel rail. You should have between 55 and 65 psi. If by chance it's less, you arent wasting money on a fuel pump cuz you need it. If you had a clogged fuel filter and have since replaced it and are having no problems then I'd lean towards that being ur problem. I'd def make sure your getting gas at a place that didnt have the tanks stirred up. If you can refrain from getting gas at a place that just recently rec'd shipment of fuel...Run some K100MG through the system to remove any water,clean valves, Stabilize fuel and helps phase seperation with the ethanol...GOOD LUCK!!!

Dont be a smarta$$...although it is better than being a dumba$$
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search