88 Cavalier - Transmission issues - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 Cavalier - Transmission issues
Monday, July 22, 2013 6:42 AM
I am a proud owner of a free (given to me) granny fresh 88 cavalier, beautiful and rust free, automatic trans, problem is, it has trouble getting it to shift into second, and will not shift into third gear... it goes into reverse just fine. any ideas on where to start?

Re: 88 Cavalier - Transmission issues
Monday, July 22, 2013 9:03 AM
Yeah get the transmission rebuilt or buy a slightly used one from a junkyard http://www.car-part.com/
You can try and have the transmission fluid changed and the bands adjusted but it's probably already junk.

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:35 AM
Change the fluid and filter. If that doesn't work adjust the tv cable.

http://www.v6z24.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=dynamicalbum.UpdatesAlbum&g2_albumId=5998&g2_itemId=6665

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:38 PM
Changed fluid and filter, adjusted TV, now shifts into all gears! But there is a delay between gears, like it lurches between shifts... What else should I look at? Is there any hope?
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:45 PM
Tcc selinoid?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:27 PM
Agree tcc solenoid.I simple check is Unhook (the wiring and or plug)it and then revalueate if the condition improves or stays the same.If improves replace switch.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:38 PM
Well turns out it wasn't a simple fix, its all taken apart now, we believe the worn clutch discs were the culprit, should be rebuilt and ready to go by the end of this week!
Thanks for all the help guys!

Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:23 PM
And this too, broken spring, on this "thingy"... Servo?

Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:44 PM
Well at least you will have a fresh trans once rebuilt.Too bad it was not so simple.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:17 PM
I'm doing the same thing but I'm using all alto and ray bests pars, probably changing to a 32-38 drive sprocket and driven sprocket to lower the final drive to 2.39 instead of 3.16 for better gearing, wide chain, wide band, 2.0 converter since its 3,000 rpms an LSD from engineered performance, superior shift correction kit, andI may see if I can swap parts from another transmission like you can with the 4l60/65/70 with corvette servos and other crap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search