Faulty IAT sensor? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Faulty IAT sensor?
Friday, August 09, 2013 12:34 PM
Alright, a little background. Left my lights on in the parking lot for a few hours, battery dies. Jump the battery and the car starts running, in the process of re attaching my intake (the tubing blocked the side posts of the battery in order to jump it) the intake tubing (aluminum) touched the power terminal of the battery and sparked. Didn't think anything of it until about 5 miles down the road when my trac off light came on and the car started shifting very hard. Never had any issues with the transmission shifting hard (auto). So did a little research here and it seems this is typically due to a faulty IAT sensor, since that's the only electrical component hooked into the intake i assumed when the intake hit the power terminal it fried the sensor.

No big deal, ran down to autozone picked up the new one, installed it. Still throwing a trac off light, still hard shifting. What the @!#$. Any ideas?

Re: Faulty IAT sensor?
Friday, August 09, 2013 12:42 PM
Pigtail or wires burnt somewhere.... common... try replacing just the end with the plug..... if that doesnt cure it your tracing wires

Erik Packard
Friday, August 09, 2013 1:42 PM
Did you scan the computer for any DTC's?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, August 09, 2013 2:22 PM
the code that came up was faulty iat sensor. since it's been replaced and it's still faulty, then i guess wires? i dunno.

what if i reset everything by unhooking the battery? is it possible the comp just doesn't know there's a new iat sensor in?

Friday, August 09, 2013 2:55 PM
Check the plug and see if you burnt or scorched it when it arced.... like i said try the plug before you go digging its probably the p0110 or p0101 intake air temp circuit high??? correct

Erik Packard
Friday, August 09, 2013 3:22 PM
what plug are you talking about? the one at the end of the iat sensor or the plug that hooks in to the transmission? if your'e talking about the iat sensor plug it looked good when i plugged the new one in.

resetting the battery didn't help, erased the code and trac off light for maybe ten minutes before it was back.

new question, what happens if i just drive it in lhm? i'm assuming it will result in damage but i have no other means of transportation and the transmission shop in town won't b able to get to it until wednesday.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:26 AM
where you have the 2 wires go into the IAT is a plug at the end.... replace this it may have burnt the pins internally or broken it.... take 2 heat shrink butt connectors (Pink) and cut a plug off from a known good one and try this if the light persists you may have wiring or possible but slim chance pcm damage

Erik Packard
Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:27 AM
blucavvy wrote:

new question, what happens if i just drive it in lhm? i'm assuming it will result in damage but i have no other means of transportation and the transmission shop in town won't b able to get to it until wednesday.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:08 PM
Problem solved, replaced the pigtail for the IAT and after a 1/2 hour test drive the trac off light never came back on. Other test drives when i thought i had fixed the problem and the trac off light was back in within 5-10 mins. Also, my CEL hasn't come back on and that's been there for years. Don't want to get too excited about that but *crosses fingers + knocks on wood* it looks like that may have been why the car was throwing a CEL as well.

Thanks so much for your help Ricozero. Really do appreciate it.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:10 PM
Yeah, I have been having the same issue, thought it was the sensor, replaced it, still got the code. I looked at my harness and found that the tan wire broke.

I am wiring a completely independent circuit for the IAT currently, but waiting on a new terminal atm as one of the ones I bought earlier failed to crimp right.

Also, the reason the code came back after about five minutes after you erase it, especially if driving under 15 mph, the PCM has gone through the 'drive cycle' found a fault, but hasn't seen it enough times to lite the CEL so it stores the code as pending, hence the TRAC OFF light. I have been dealing with this for a little while and literally drive with a basic code scanner in my lap.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:40 AM
Good to hear Just trying my best to do what the sight was designed for help other Fellow J's with problems others have experienced.... I had this Happen on both the 98 Cav and the 02 Sunflower lol

Erik Packard

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search