91 3.1L Sunbird. Exhaust Blowout - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
91 3.1L Sunbird. Exhaust Blowout
Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:01 PM

So, I've been having a small exhaust leak for about a week now. . . I was passing a guy last night (about 11pm) and suddenly *POP!*. . . I went from having a Sunbird to a straightpipe Harley, sounds the same and just as loud. If I let off the gas it sounded like it would sputter and die so I kept on it until I got home, to the dismay of everyone who lives on my road.

My question is, how do I know where the leak is coming from so I know which gasket (hopefully that's all it is) to replace, without having it running? It is FAR too loud to get near the engine compartment while it is running.

Is there anything I can do? Thank you guys for any help you can provide!

Pat, the broke single Dad with a 91 Sunbird.

Re: 91 3.1L Sunbird. Exhaust Blowout
Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:57 PM
I would put the car up on jack stands front and rear.Then do a simple visual check.I figure your leak is probably a nice size hole in your muffler or piping or worse case the cat convertor.Most exhaust leakes I have dealt with are from the piping,muffler and cat convertor.If it is really a bigger job to do a quick repair take it a trusted exhaust shop and get it done correctly over mending a problem only to return super quick.Do the simple check if it it as loud as you said there is a big hole easy to see.

Re: 91 3.1L Sunbird. Exhaust Blowout
Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:17 PM
It is probably before the cat. The cat keeps the car quiet. If it was after the cat it would sound like a straight pipped v8. I know because I had a high flow cat and dual exhaust with no mufflers. Check the gaskets cross over and down pipe.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search