04 cavalier clutch repair/replace diagram - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 cavalier clutch repair/replace diagram
Friday, August 16, 2013 11:37 AM
after purchasing a couple of repair/rebuild books on my 04 cavalier i have noticed that there is not alot of diagrams of the parts in these books. i am looking to replace the clutch/kit/master & slave cylinder/tob/pressure plate/etc.... and to do the work myself. i consider myself mechanically incline however am not a mechanic. reading how to do the job helps BUT the diagrams help even more. can anyone assist me in finding the correct diagrams needed to do the job? i have searched endlessly online but have come up short. thank you in advance!!!

xxenocide (tim)

Re: 04 cavalier clutch repair/replace diagram
Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:37 PM
When I had trouble with the clutch I, looked into this ('05Cav). Luckily, it turned out that my hydraulic clutch line was chafed away.
The short of the story is that you even need to disconnect and lower the subframe to be able to pull off the gear box.
Your best bet would be the factory service manual, but you can try and look into other manuals, like Haynes.
Not sure if they are available online.

Peter
Monday, September 09, 2013 8:21 AM
Clutch work is pretty straight forward, once you dive in, the text makes all kinds of sense. The biggest "trick" is getting the transmission out, It has to come out with the motor and it's a tight squeeze if you pull it out the top, and going out the bottom has it's own set of challenges, it's just trial and error. It's really quite easy once you figure it out. Make sure when your replace your clutch to either have your flywheel turned down (if there is enough material left to take without going too far out of spec) or replace the flywheel.

As for the above statement, you do not need to remove the sub frame, just the brace that goes between the sub frame and the lower radiator/frame brace on the driver side.

An alternate to the Haynes book is AllData DIY. I don't know how well they diagram jobs, I have never used it personally.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:13 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:...
As for the above statement, you do not need to remove the sub frame, just the brace that goes between the sub frame and the lower radiator/frame brace on the driver side.

Good to know!
The info, that the subframe needs to be lowered for the gearbox removal, is from the factory service manual.

Peter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search