Wierd noise - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wierd noise
Friday, August 16, 2013 8:02 PM
Hi guys, I am a noob here. I recently got a 2000 Cavalier with a 2.2l engine. The car has 152,000 kms on it. All is good with it except for one thing. When I turn to go right, there is an awful squeaking sound. It sounded like the serp belt so I changed that. No luck. Then I experimented with it. Going down a straight road , when I turned to the right just a bit or more the noise showed up. Going left no noise.
However when I turned the engine off and coasted the noise is not present. So obviously it is not brakes or suspension . It can't be an axle shaft cause it would be spinning anyways. I'm lost and confused. Any advice??

Re: Wierd noise
Friday, August 16, 2013 9:32 PM
Cv axle, bearing?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:45 PM
Could also be a bad wheel bearing they get loud and quiet around corners.... also i have found some to be very loose and never make a noise unless turning.....

if this is the case i recommend timkin wheel bearings

if it were an axle it would be more like a click click click noise when rounding corners....

Erik Packard
Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:40 PM
Thanks guys. But like I said , with the engine turned off and me coasting down a street the noise is not present. Axles and bearings would be turning at normal road speeds with engine on or off.
Monday, August 19, 2013 7:42 AM
Ok if the engine is off and the noise is not present I would start checking pulleys..... I had a noise from my alternator before but it was more of like a whining noise..... also my idler pulley is currently bad and makes a sound sounds almost like a sc 3800 kinda like a whistle.... start there...... if its not a pulley you may have an internal engine issue....such as timing chain tensionor or the chain itself

Erik Packard
Friday, September 06, 2013 6:58 PM
take the serp belt off, and try and recreate the noise. obviously dont drive far with it off, but itll halp isolate the noise. if the noise is gone without the belt, then you know its in the drive belt
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search