Ringing noise at idle - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ringing noise at idle
Monday, August 19, 2013 12:05 PM
When i bought my manual 2001 cavalier coupe base the owner of the car told me that there is a ringing noise at idle (Its more of one of those annoying "mosquito" pitched sounds than a squeal). They said they have replaced the belt and have had it looked at. As far as the noise it wasnt causing any mechanical problems but it sure as hell does annoy me and other drivers next to me when i am pulled up at a stop light. Im thinking that it could be the idler pulley may need replaced or lubed up? This is my first car and I am a noob as far as working on the mechanical parts of a car. If i were to try to fix this how hard would it be? I do though have access to all the tools i would ever need for working on a car.

Re: Ringing noise at idle
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:39 AM
Check the idler first as it is the cheapest of what could fail.... also if equipt with a/c turn it on and see if the noise gets quieter.... common for the a/c clutch to go bad and make some nasty noises like what your describing

Erik Packard
Re: Ringing noise at idle
Monday, August 26, 2013 12:52 PM
you can pick up a mechanics stethescope for almost nothing (maybe a few $) at any Harbor Freight or probably auto store.
It will allow you to pinpoint the noise while the cars running. i did this to find an annoying tensioner shock that went out that everyone thought was a coupler in the supercharger.

Or if you dont have one or need something in a pinch, i grabed a long flat head screw driver, put it down on a part, then put my ear on the screw driver. would go from part to part until i heard the noise really loud. You can also spray a solution like electronic parts cleaner (something that evaporates quickly) around the pulleys and belts while its running. One at a time and see if when you spray on a certain spot it goes away. Then just WD40 it up if its just a pulley or something.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search