Getrag 5th Gear Grind - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag 5th Gear Grind
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:42 PM
2000 Sunfire 2.2L grinds only in 5th gear. if i shift from 4-5 and let the RPM's go down a little under 2K, it doesnt grind. but that's if i rev match PERFECTLY. otherwise, it just lessens the grind if the rev-match isnt dot-on.

It never pops out of 5th, and isn't that hard to go into 5th. just grinds a little. i might just end up replacing it, but if it's an easy cheap fix, why not fix it? but as far as i read up, sounds like a synchro. since it's 5th gear,

wouldnt that be the least difficult synchro to replace, since it's at the end? I've never tore into a transmission before, but i have done alot of research on them, and how they work. how much work is involved with replacing a

synchro? Maybe even a simple fluid change? I found This Thread but the OP never said if the grind went away. Didnt really want to bump a 7 year old thread.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: Getrag 5th Gear Grind
Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:23 AM
Syncronizer or shifter cables is my guess.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:35 AM

Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:36 AM
http://youtu.be/MgmxydwmtTg

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:12 PM
My shifter is a little weird. The round pivot point is messed up, causing the shifter to be sloppy. My 1996

cavalier was the same way. It never had any tranny problems, so i just got used to it. i don't think that's the

problem though. I drained the tranny fluid today and let it sit for about an hour. I put in synthetic B&M trick

shift fluid. It was about .3 of a quart low. I added just under 2 quarts. It goes into all other gears a little better,

but it didnt ease the 5th gear grind at all. Any other suggestions? Not sure if it's worth fixing, or just replacing.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:49 PM
Fixed the shifter, not sloppy anymore. but here's a video of 5th grinding

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:32 PM
Needs a 5th gear syncronizer. Only way to do it is to pull the tranny and tear it apart.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:38 PM
I had a feeling. Damn. Thanks.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:47 AM
The good news is you can probably get away with driving it like that for a long time. Over time you'll get better at rev matching and slowly putting it into 5th without so much grinding.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search