2k relearn not taking - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2k relearn not taking
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:18 PM
As most people know ive had problems after i did a pre 2k to 2k + manual swap. Darren and Nic came down to get me running. Turns out injectors werent getting fuel. Jumped some wires in relay box and bam car started up.

Got the car to operating temp and the damn thing cut off, only to never start again. It was suggested i swap out engine, body, and dash harness with others just in case I had bad wires somewhere. I only swapped out the body harness. Just got that buttoned up and did the relearn process. Theft light is NOT blinking, its on solid as I try to crank the car and let off the key.

3 relearns, 10 mins each, theft light is on solid.

Ill also add that the car doesn't turn over and start at the first crank. On the pre 2k i would crank it, it would start and then immediately die. Its not letting me do that here.

Im out of options

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: 2k relearn not taking
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:37 PM
I would like to add that when we initially got it started, we were jumping wires at the fuel pump relay, with a different PCM and BCM in the car. After swapping WHITECAVY's PCM and BCM back in, they took the relearn without issue. We were able to modify the auto tune to a manual, we were letting it warm up when it went lean so we shut it off, and the issue returned after. We could not hook up a scan tool or HPTuners while the issue was present, we were only able to during the short time the car was running.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:22 PM
Its a long shot, but I know when Addicted did the 2.4 harness on the Eco the older PCM didn't like the newer ignition switch. Maybe you have the problem in reverse?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:36 PM
So I should use a pre 2k key and cylinder?

The thing is, with my 2k pcm before my manual swap I was still using this same key and lock cylinder that i have in now. The only thing that changed was the addition of the bcm and 2k cluster.

I also tried a 2002 lock and key, no dice

306 TQ
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:21 PM
shouldn't have to change the key/cylinder anyway just the switch. did you try the switch only? I don't know if the security stuff is in the PCM or the BCM. I was thinking it was the PCM.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:48 PM
Which part is the switch?

I changed the cylinder that the key goes in, took that out and put in a 2002 one to try. Which part is the 'switch'?

306 TQ
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:51 PM
on the 2000+ relearn do not crank over the engine

Just turn the ign. till its to the run position let sit till the light security light goes out . the turn key to off position and turn to run and wait for light to go out again. Don't go by time. repeat this step one more time,
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:05 PM
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:23 AM
Whitez- thanks man, so there's no need to crank it? Just turn it to run position until light goes out? is that on the first try?

Thanks Cinny! if the relearn doesnt work again I will try to grab a new Switch.

Ill also add that after we got the car running and up to temp, I disconnected the battery for some reason and the relearn lost..

306 TQ
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:22 AM
The backup battery in PCM could also be dead if it lost everything when you disconnected the battery.

David, my offer to come down is still open.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:15 AM
Crap, and if that backup battery is dead in the pcm then it is pretty much useless then right? Because i always disconnect my battery when not in use.

Thanks for the offer, I just never have a set time to work on the car anymore since im so busy. I just usually go in the garage when the wife and kid are asleep or gone. Im not motivated at all anymore with this car. Ill keep ya updated if I designate a whole day to work on it.

306 TQ

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:25 AM
Always disconnecting the battery wouldn't be the best idea then. But I not 100% sure if our PCMs have a backup battery in them.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:27 AM
don't the PCM's have ROM memory, and thats what your flashing with HPT, and what they used to take out and flash, then reinstall on the old ones. (PROM) mine sat for 4 yrs with no battery even in the car, started right up after changing the fluids, etc.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:09 AM
Ive always disconnected the battery, have so every since I went turbo in 06 because I do not drive it every day. Only after this 2k manual swap is when the problems started with the pcm going back in theft mode after battery was disconnected (1) time. If I ever get it to start again I will see if the issue comes back.

306 TQ
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:48 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Whitez- thanks man, so there's no need to crank it? Just turn it to run position until light goes out? is that on the first try?

Thanks Cinny! if the relearn doesnt work again I will try to grab a new Switch.

Ill also add that after we got the car running and up to temp, I disconnected the battery for some reason and the relearn lost..

That's correct just turn it to the run position leave it on till the light goes out and repeat two more times.

As a side note I am still using my 99 auto ign switch with my 5spd eco swapped car
Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:55 PM
I had to attempt to crank when doing the relearn for mine to take (04 Eco car using a 02 ld9 pcm). Mine was really an oddball though, because I still had to go through the relearn process even though we disabled VATs on the PCM, and mine only took one cycle of the relearn procedure...fired right up on the second cranking attempt.

The ignition switch seems to be hit and miss. John had to swap it out on Robert's car. Mine never needed to be touched...swapped in a '02 ld9 harness and pcm, had no issues playing nice with my '04 body harness/bcm/ignition switch. Though for just being a $40 part, may be worth while to rule it out.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:11 PM
Thanks EVIL, yea not sure whats going on with mine.

I just did the relearn like Whitez described on how to do it and it didnt work for me. I Turned the key on and let it sit for 40 mins, theft light was still solid after 40 mins. I took the key out and tried again the second time, this time for 30 mins. Light was still on solid. This sucks ass.

306 TQ
Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:40 PM
When we had the car running, we made sure to disable VATs and it also did the same thing when we had Darren's PCM in there, which I believe had VATs disabled as well.

I'm still curious as to why we couldn't hook a scan tool or HPTuners up to the car while the theft light was active.

David, if you want, I'll rip the ignition switch out of my 04 parts car and mail that down to you.

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:59 AM
That would be cool Nic, would save me 42.99 lol. Lemme know thx

306 TQ
Friday, August 23, 2013 4:25 PM
check all fuses I think its the cig lighter fuse is the obd2 plug also
Friday, August 23, 2013 6:09 PM
It is the CIG fuse for OBD2, but that is not the issue. We checked every fuse in the car multiple times and checked several relays, all were good. Every wire in the dash harness that goes to the diagnostic port is good, I spent quite a bit of time with a multimeter verifying this. But as I said, during the short time the theft light was out, we could get a connection without issue, but never while the theft light was on.

David you should hopefully have a package within the next week, you may have to tear your dash half apart to get at one of the screws though.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:26 AM
Thanks Nic, yea the inside is already tore out again so I should be good. I wish I could afford to buy a 2002 z and just stick my motor in trans in and be DONE!!

306 TQ
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:54 PM
You should have gotten mail today, in for updates!

Monday, September 02, 2013 7:06 PM
Welp been away for a while, haven't really touched the car until today. Got the ignition switch Nic sent me and installed it, attempted to start it and still the exact same thing, nothing. The theft light is still on solid, even after another relearn.

So, Mike Roofy said he may be able to come attempt to help this weekend.

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search