2000 Sunfire 2.2L won't start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Sunfire 2.2L won't start
Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:29 AM
I know there are many won't start articles but this may different. Mine will start, but..... I still need some assistance.

This may help some people and their issue is the same. The starter turns over. No noise coming from the fuel pump.

Things I have checked and repaired.

1) Starter is good. Although I need to replace it because the coil acts up once in awhile and I need to tap it on occasion to get it to turn over. have one to put in but no time to do so yet.
2) Fuel pump is good.
3) This car had the fix for the ignition recall which the dealership added a relay before the starter. Some of the wires were poorly done and looked melted so I re-spliced the wires correctly.

Where my issue comes from is in the rear behind the tank which caused the fuel pump not to run. I found a wiring connection point with a group of wires hooked into two sections. One comes from the front, the other goes to the pump. The one that goes to the pump had a split wire that was dry rotted and the other wire cracked off. Luckily and yet unfortunately I have a 1999 Sunfire 2.4L sitting in the driveway waiting for an engine that I took that connector from to replace the one on this 2000. I first spliced in the connector with a couple of 'butt' connectors but then the other day the engine stopped a couple of times on my home from work because of no fuel delivery. So I took the butt connectors out thinking I may have not made decent contact and I soldered and heat shrunk the connections. I got to work just fine yesterday, but on my way home, the engine fueled out twice on my way home.

How do I get it going again you may ask? I push on the connectors and the pump works again. So I know it is not the fuel pump considering I do not even touch that area. What I need to know, or get a diagram (not a wiring schematic) and name for whatever connection cluster this is and what it entails since this is the point of interest for this particular issue. This connection point has two Molex ends with four points on each. The one coming from the front has four wires. The other has two wires with the other two points plugged. These connection points together attach to a point behind the back bottom portion of the rear seat. It looks like there is one to two machine screws holding whatever is behind there and controlling anything in an enclosed portion of the metal at that point. Most likely this is a relay but does anyone have a diagram or picture, name of what it is before I go head on into tearing it apart considering I am on limited time (I work 13 days on and 1 off, no garage, second shift 1:30pm to 10pm and get up at 10am so I have limited time to go digging deeply. I am fairly certain that the issue resides inside that origin.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search