Stuck brake drums - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stuck brake drums
Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:27 PM
Recently I tried to remove my brake drums and they wouldn't come off. I tried hitting the brake drum with a hammer but I still couldn't get it off. Any ideas on how to get it off it doesn't matter if it gets wrecked because I will be replacing the drums and shoes and the hardware.

Re: Stuck brake drums
Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:20 AM
Spray some PB Blaster around the hub and the back side and use a bigger hammer. Seriously. They take some "persuading" to take off. I use an 8 lb sledge that's got a short handle. Looks like Thor's hammer.
Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:50 AM
Depending on how long it has been since you've done the brakes you may have developed a ridge on the inside of the drum which will also make it next to impossible to get the drums off without backing off the shoes.
That and a big hammer, patience and time. Also PB like He ^^ said.
Have fun.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:51 PM
From what I recall, the pad on the shoe is flush with the edge of the drum, so you don't get a ridge. I'm very familiar with that ridge. My old GM A-bodies develop that ridge, but there's a punch-out on the drum and on some years the backing plate, so you can get at the star wheel and back off the shoes.
My 02 doesn't have a punch out in the backing plate or on the drum, so backing off the shoes is near impossible, so luckily I don't get that ridge.

Lube, hammer and persistence!
Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:35 PM
My 03 had a hole for the star wheel on the backing plate.Haven't looked at older j's in awhile however.
If you drive around on your rear shoes for 120k before you change them, you can develop a ridge. I'm not saying it will be huge like some other cars are known for, but, it can and does happen.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:04 PM
On stuck rears non j related I used a chisel to wedge between the drum then used a handheld screw driver sized pry bar to twist bar and forth and rotate the drum and it broke free.I also lubed the drum and studs with liquid wrench.Worst case is using a crow bar with the chisel opening a big spot to really crank on it.The handheld pry bar I used is super thick on the end about 3/8 thick and almost ten inches long.Just rotate the drum as you work the opening free this makes it easier to remove it evenly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search