Ecotec engine swap egr question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec engine swap egr question
Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:59 PM
Got an 04 LS sport with 103k that somehow skipped the timing chain and bent valves etc. With how it burned oil before i plan to just replace the engine. My current engine has the egr casting with a block off plate. My gut would say an engine with no egr would be OK, but no junkyards will say it fits. All the engines that I like have no egr but I wanna confirm its OK before going forward. I did tons of searching here and the internet and didn't find much other than conflicting info. Thanks for any input!

JLP

04 LS Sport Sedan

Re: Ecotec engine swap egr question
Friday, September 13, 2013 5:35 AM
I think you'll be fine. Just remember to get the right l61 2.2. if you get one out of a cobalt or something newer the crank trigger wheel will be wrong and it will not work.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:28 AM
I'd think it would be fine also, but I was really hoping that someone who had done the swap could chime in. If its no big deal I just don't understand why all the junkyards and car-part.com make such a big deal about egr vs. non egr.

The engine I have my eye on is from an 05 Cavalier without the EGR casting.

JLP

04 LS Sport Sedan
Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:01 AM
It'll definitely work. I have an 04 motor in my 05, no problems.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:37 PM
I'll make an official post just to get the information out there, but I just finished putting a non egr 05 Cavalier engine in my 04 Cavalier that had the blocked off egr and everything fit and matched perfect. Didn't even swap any sensors between the two engines. Hit the key and off we went.

JLP

04 LS Sport Sedan
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:55 AM
I eco swapped my 02 z24 with a 03 engine that had egr on head with block off plate and when I bent the valves I replaced head with one off a 05 WITHOUT egr on head and works fine. One without egr on head just gives engine bay better look since even though the older heads came with egr on it when they ran them in the cavaliers they all came from the factory with the block off plate installed.

FuzzMASTA9
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search