2000 Z24 water pump possibly going bad - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Z24 water pump possibly going bad
Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:29 PM
Expensive?

Re: 2000 Z24 water pump possibly going bad
Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:35 PM
does leak coolant but doesn't overheat.... and i have a 30min drive to work taking the highway. No sweet smell coming from the exhaust
Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:12 PM
Did you figure out the source of the leak? When I had my z24 mine leaked coolant from the water inlet hose. Stupid piece of plastic on the right side (drivers side) of the motor. It leaked onto and pooled onto my transmission so I had no evidence of coolant dripping under the car. If it's leaking from the left side of the motor then it's most likely the water pump. Check you oil as well to see if its coolant filled.
Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:33 PM
Oh and a water pump on a 2.4 is relatively expensive if you get it done. Because it is attached to the timing chain, so you might as well do you timing chain while you are in there. The stealership says it is like a 8-10 hour job. If i remember correctly there should be a weep hole on the left side of the motor where the timing chain housing is on that motor. My water pump on my old 2.4 had a very tiny leak, like one drop every 20 minutes while driving. I drove like that for a year and had no problems. topped up the coolant like every 2-3 months. Also, smell the coolant reservoir bottle after it was running for a bit, (be safe when opening the reservoir of course, SUPER HOT) if it smells like exhaust it will be a head gasket problem (The exhaust system is super heating the coolant system and the coolant reservoir will blow it out, happened to a civic I once owned and i had no clue besides loss of coolant)

But if you still cannot find the leak, then pressure test the coolant system and test the cylinder head compression. Although it should be quick obvious were a leak would be coming from.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search