Many issues high milage motor - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Many issues high milage motor
Friday, September 27, 2013 10:10 PM
Well my 99 sunfire 2.2 Auto has been having issues for the last month or so. Here goes, first off it has quite a bit of top end noise at idle, also I have some misfiring at idle or slightly above. I also have noise from the trans while in park and on slopes (driveways stuff like that) of I put the car in neutral or any gear the noise subsides. On that subject it also makes noise while warm and in drive (or 2nd or 1st) while stopped. The noise for both problems is kinda a grumbling noise.I also have a kknocking sound coming from the rear passenger side while moving.

The car has a lot of miles (almost 240,000) and everyone I talk to says I should just get a new car but I like this
car still and it's been a super reliable vehicle (it's kinda a member of the family)

So any help would be great, thanks,

Fred

Re: Many issues high milage motor
Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:45 AM
that mileage is where things get a little tired. My 1995 Cav 2.2 now has 302,800 miles and I'm 450 miles from home at Myrtle Beach SC with it. We are here for my daughter's wedding. She wanted to use it for their "get away" car.

It went to 248k and blew a headgasket. I just went to the salvage yard and bought an 80k miles engine from an s-10.

Your issues are probably related to age and are fixable.

Oil pumps get tired (top end noise)
Ignition control modules fail/Coils burn out/ spark plug wires insulation breaks down/ spark plugs wear out.
in the trans, bearings wear, the spider gears in the differential "wear out" and eventually fail
Cavs are not know for their superior wheel bearings

If you have the ability to work on it, it can be repaired to run another 250k. My car spent over a year in the shop while I rebuilt it.

your choice, your money

dennis
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search