Anti theft (VATS) malfunction, what to replace? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anti theft (VATS) malfunction, what to replace?
Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:41 PM
I dont get on here very often anymore but I'm working out a problem with the car.

The anti-theft on the 97 Sunfire is acting up. The light doesn't blink but the car is acting as if it where. I crank it, it fires then dies half a second later. I come back in ten minutes and the car fires right up and is good for about a day then it forgets the relearn again.

So a part obviously needs replaced. I'm sure I don't have to mention that this car does not use chipped keys btw.

My thinking is that if I just get a new ignition switch (tumbler) for the car that it will fix the problem although I'll be stuck with two keys. The thing I'm worried about is if the problem could be in the ECU, that would suck.

Im doing my research the best I can but am just not coming up with a damn thing yet. I figured this would be the most logical place to check. So far, as far as I can tell, its just the ECU and Ignition switch talking to each other with nothing in between and most likely something has just gone bad in the ignition switch but I have yet to confirm this since the internet seems to have its head up its ass on this subject.

If anyone knows for sure let me know, thanks.

Re: Anti theft (VATS) malfunction, what to replace?
Saturday, September 28, 2013 2:12 PM
oh and apparently, its called passlock, not vats on the older cars. Pfft.

For such a common problem I would think there would be an answer for this.

If the sensor in the tumbler is going out I should be able to replace the whole damn thing then do the relearn procedure. I mean that should work, but why the hell can't I find out for sure anywhere?

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 9:39 PM
VATS is a blanket term (vehicle anti-theft system)

as for your needing two keys, i suspect you know how to use a multimeter and how to use it to read ohms. start doing so. once you find out whats wrong if in fact you need a new lock cylinder, call a locksmith and have him re-pin that @!#$ to your old key.

c'mon guy. you've been a member longer than me (not many active can say that) and you still don't know this @!#$?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:13 PM
Go to GM and get a new key cut from your VIN code.

I had the same problem, cost me $2 to fix it. Ok, $4 (I got a spare key too)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search