Many issues high milage motor - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Many issues high milage motor
Friday, September 27, 2013 10:11 PM
Well my 99 sunfire 2.2 Auto has been having issues for the last month or so. Here goes, first off it has quite a bit of top end noise at idle, also I have some misfiring at idle or slightly above. I also have noise from the trans while in park and on slopes (driveways stuff like that) of I put the car in neutral or any gear the noise subsides. On that subject it also makes noise while warm and in drive (or 2nd or 1st) while stopped. The noise for both problems is kinda a grumbling noise.I also have a kknocking sound coming from the rear passenger side while moving.

The car has a lot of miles (almost 240,000) and everyone I talk to says I should just get a new car but I like this
car still and it's been a super reliable vehicle (it's kinda a member of the family)

So any help would be great, thanks,

Fred

Re: Many issues high milage motor
Friday, September 27, 2013 11:10 PM
Sadface. Doesnt sound good all around. Perhaps bent valve. which is top end. Do a compression test of the cylinders asap.
Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:46 AM
I'll check out the compression this weekend. Thank u for the response, as far as the noise goes it sounds like my Mazda b2000 which has tons of valve tick.

Fred
Monday, September 30, 2013 6:53 AM
Update! I was doing some work on the car yesterday (brakes) and found a few more problems but eliminated (I think) some of my previous issues. First off I found out the the ac pump is shot and is where most of my noise is coming from. I took loose the drive belt and the motor ran quiet, Really quiet, No more ticking or rattling noises and what I thought was power steering whine turn out to be an extremelyworn ac cclutch bearing. So I guess that's good news...

Also while under the vehicle I couldn't help but notice that the motor moved quite a bit while running. I discovered one of the worst looking motor mounts I've ever seen. And now that I've replaced that the isn't nearly as much trans noise. I'm not saying that the problem is fixed per say buy the noise isn't there now. Still haven't done a compression check (ran out of time/daylight) but that will come soon and next on the agenda after that is suspension.

Here's a pic of that motor mount

Fred
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search