Clutch pedal was stuck (aparently) now low pressure, - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch pedal was stuck (aparently) now low pressure,
Wednesday, October 02, 2013 5:12 PM
So I loaned my cavy to my ex and she said she was driving to work and all of the sudden the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor. She had the car towed back to her place and it has been sitting there for a couple weeks. So I get time to look at today and I check the reservoir and its full. I don't see any fluid on the ground so I'm pretty sure it's not leaking fluid.

I was then able to pull the pedal off the floor with my hand and start and drive the car around the block. It seems like the clutch pedal doesn't have as much pressure as it used to. I have been driving a mazdaspeed3 (The clutch feels amazing on it BTW) so it is hard to compare what it used to feel like. Any ideas on what to check? If it was the slave or the line that is know for breaking it would be leaking fluid all over correct?

Re: Clutch pedal was stuck (aparently) now low pressure,
Wednesday, October 02, 2013 9:27 PM
pump the pedal by hand with the engine off about 20 times and see if the fluid in the master drops. if it does, you need a slave or line. if it doesn't, you need a master.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:16 AM
You mean the fluid in the reservoir (not the master cylinder) will go down?
Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:29 AM
The resivoir is connected to the clutch master cylinder.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:57 AM
Yeah I know just trying to clarify he didn't mean inside the actual master because there is no way to see inside it
Thursday, October 03, 2013 2:47 PM
Check the hydraulic line between the master and slave cylinders. Is routed such that is chafing against a body member and eventually wears through. This is not question of if, but when does it happen. Mine lasted about 70,000Km.
Simpler though then taking out the transmission for the slave cylinder replacement...
I put a hose clamp onto the hydraulic line where it touches the frame member.

Peter
Saturday, October 05, 2013 5:42 AM
When your line was bad did it leak fluid? It doesn't appear like I am. I'm going to look at it again today and see if the fluid level drops after pumping it a bunch as suggested.
Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:37 AM
I tried and the fluid level looked OK. I was able to drive the car all the way home. The clutch seems fine just a little too easy to press down. I guess I'll try a new master and see if it is better.
Monday, October 07, 2013 7:47 AM
OK looking around I saw this.

Looks like the line is coated in brake fluid. So I'm going to order part number 24233064. Reading around on here people say in comes with the line, master, and reservoir. Is that correct? I know you can just order the line, but this part number is only $30 more and it comes with everything I think.
Monday, October 07, 2013 11:06 AM
I went ahead and got part number 24233064. I'll update if it is the whole unit.
Monday, October 07, 2013 2:22 PM
GM parts direct told me it is indeed the master, reservoir, and line from the master to tranny!

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:44 AM
It seems to be fine now. Looks like the line and / or master was going out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search