2.4&4-speed swap to 2.2&3-speed - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4&4-speed swap to 2.2&3-speed
Friday, October 04, 2013 5:12 PM
I have a $300 1997 cavalier with the 2.2 ohv, and 3-speed transmission(previous owner claimed to have 80K on them). Im getting a 1998 cavalier Z24 with a bad 2.4 and good 4-speed tranny. Instead of taking the gamble of buying a used 2.4 for $600-$800, how hard would it be to swap the 2.2& 3-speed into the Z24? i know ill have to change the engine harness, ECM, shifter cable, shifter assembly, instrument cluster(both have the dial style odometers), cruise control cable, blah blah blah...but will the transmission bolt in without modifications to mounts? I just don't know if the 3-speed and 4-speed J's have the tranny mounts welded in the same spots or not. From what i've read up, the mounts are not a problem, but that's based on information that ended in "i think". Also not sure if switching from electronic controlled, to vacuum controlled tranny will matter since i would be switching the ECM, and harness. Lord knows how much easier this would be if the 97 was a 4-speed. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

FYI, this car will be for my little sister as a school car. I just know the 2.2 will be more reliable, and cheaper/easier to fix.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: 2.4&4-speed swap to 2.2&3-speed
Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:23 PM
Anybody? I tried searching, but every post has someone saying "the info is there, search for it" well, its hard to find, when 99 posts say that, and 1 post say what i need.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search