Car is acting weird...er - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car is acting weird...er
Saturday, October 05, 2013 9:55 AM
Alright so here's a funny story. My car has been in the shop a couple times to diagnose what's going on but no one can ever give me a straight answer. There's absolutely NO check engine light on. It had a history code of a P0172, running rich. It still smells funny and is acting odd but nothing has come on since. The car tends to sputter or backfire when merging onto the express way, or when under moderate to heavy acceleration. It's a '98 2.4L cavalier. I've ruled out the intake and the muffler. It's had new head gaskets, new timing chain cover gasket, new valve cover gaskets, all replaced. New O2 sensors, new MAP sensor with the vacuum line. New fuel filter and pump with the lines. New spark plugs. I've honestly stumped almost every person I know with this car. Can someone please help me before i spend too much money?.................Again?

Re: Car is acting weird...er
Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:47 AM
It used to run rich? Fuel rail or injectors?
Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:10 PM
well i've figured it was the pressure regulator because that's what is supposed to set off that code. but my mechanic did a fuel pressure test but everything seemed to be fine to him
Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:34 PM
Catalytic convertor ever been changed? You said it smells funny, does it smell like rotten eggs, or sulfur?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:37 PM
I do sometimes notice a funny smell coming from the exhaust and there is almost an unusual amount of carbon build up. i don't recall it ever being changed.
Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:54 PM
Maybe compression test the cylinders? And hold it there when testing? Perhaps a leaky/stuck valve? I don't know, throwing ideas around.
Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:35 PM
I'm with Oedwards, if you smell sulfur/rotten eggs the cat is most likely the culprit.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search