Put thermostat in...doesn't operate properly - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Put thermostat in...doesn't operate properly
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:36 PM
Well as the title states I out a thermostat in and it doesn't function like it should. With the thermostat out it gets some heat and doesn't get up on temp but yet when I put a thermostat in it doesn't get any heat and builds pressure. The thermostat is not opening.
I have ran my own heater core lines and do not have the old setup anymore and also did away with the small coolant tube that runs behind the engine from the water neck to the tank.
Are these both vital to make the system work properly? Thanks

Re: Put thermostat in...doesn't operate properly
Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:59 PM
i dont know much about the cooling system in these cars, but what you can do is feel the hose by the thermostat. if it is warm after the car has been running then you know the thermostat should be heating up and opening like it is supposed to. then you can feel the other radiator hose, it should be warm also. if both hoses are warm to the touch, that means coolant is moving through the system properly. as far as the other hoses, i have no idea.
Friday, October 04, 2013 7:27 PM
maybe putting the thermostat in upside down?

FU Tuning

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:38 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:maybe putting the thermostat in upside down?

The thermostat only goes in one way. It pretty much foolproof. After searching I did find the 2.4 has a special heater hose line setup that allows pressure to bypass and heat up the thermostat pellets. I put it in the right way an had no heat. Took it down the road and back and it built a lot of pressure. In rage I opened the radiator/overflow cap and it released the pressure thn popped and then sucked all the coolant from the overflow. Amazing heat even with an open thermostat in it. My guess is the heater core had a slight clog in it and the sudden release of pressure fixed itself. But thanks for the input
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search