Air bag soldering? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air bag soldering?
Sunday, October 27, 2013 2:53 PM
So I used to have a aftermarket wheel cut my clock spring air bag wire like a lazy ass.
I now have a Ss wheel and a sunfire clock spring, amazingly I kept my stock air bag wire I snipped not the clock spring.
I have looked this up on numbers of forms!!!!!!
Seen its ok to solder air bag wires, air bag systems aren't that touchy you can solder, NEVER solder a airbag wire!

What are your guys thoughts I don't want it blowing in my face or my cobalt air bag things aren't cheap!

Re: Air bag soldering?
Sunday, October 27, 2013 2:55 PM
Also could this be linked to my service light , all bulbs are good and drl wiring I did is too.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:58 PM
DO NOT SOLDER AIR BAG WIRES!!!

airbag systems work by means of resistance. when you solder wires you are changing the resistance of that wire and can cause major issues including unwanted deployment of the bag. be smart about it and replace the harness. these cars are a dime a dozen in scrap yards, im sure you can get one cheap.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:18 PM
Publikdstrbnce wrote:DO NOT SOLDER AIR BAG WIRES!!!

airbag systems work by means of resistance. when you solder wires you are changing the resistance of that wire and can cause major issues including unwanted deployment of the bag. be smart about it and replace the harness. these cars are a dime a dozen in scrap yards, im sure you can get one cheap.

I have a harness from a sunfire so I can keep the Ss cobalt swc but the airbag plug from 00 or 02 below are different then Eco years
Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:18 PM
Never say never lol
Car recently got in a bumper to bumper accident,
Asked them if they would do it. He said they would just solder it in too.
Attachments
image.jpg (1404k)

Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:11 PM
And no black eyes!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:34 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:And no black eyes!

Thank gwad!
More woulda covered me in powder sense I took the detonation piece out to save the bag just in case lol
And made me deaf
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search