No power to ICM - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No power to ICM
Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:42 AM
I have a 1997 Z24 that we are using for racing. Car was running great at a race, shut it off and now it will not restart.

I have started troubleshooting it following the articles on this site (http://easyautodiagnostics.com/index_gm_2.4L/index_of_articles_2.php) which has a lot of great info.

Got so far as finding that I have no power to the ICM. I determined this by probing the pink wire (L) to the ICM using a known working probe/multimeter.

My question is what are the possible reasons that I would not have power to the ICM?

Obligatory pic of the car in action!

Re: No power to ICM
Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:19 AM
Check the ground that runs to the ICM, you can also try and ground the IDI cover to see if it comes to life.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to follow the wiring last night to locate the ICM ground, but didn't have too much luck. Do you happen to know where it is grounded and or if there is a diagram that shows the grounding points for the car? That would really be helpful.

If nothing else, like you said I could ground it to the cover. Hope that works, will report back.
Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:06 AM
According to this:

the pink wire runs straight to the fuse box. Did you check the fuses?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, November 01, 2013 5:53 AM
^ Thanks for that! I did check all the fuses at the box and under the hood and all seemed fine.

Will check for power coming out of the fuse box now that I know that is how it is run as well as the ground for the ICM.
Friday, November 01, 2013 12:30 PM
I've seen bad ignition switches kill entire rows in j-body fuse panels, check if you are getting power to the fuse box.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, November 01, 2013 3:22 PM
Ok, so I have a kill switch that interrupts the IGN line from the fuse box. I tested both sides of the line and found I had voltage on the side running from the fuse box to the kill switch. Tested the side coming out of the switch and it is dead. This is with the switch ON of course.

So I pulled the connectors from the switch and just wired them back together and like majic I now have 12V to the ICM.

Thinking I have solved the issue, I try to start it. Now it won't crank!

Kind of confused at this point, thought I was making progress. Thanks for all the help so far.
Friday, November 01, 2013 3:52 PM
I did have the IDI cover off just looking things over, but put all of it back together and back on the car.
Monday, November 04, 2013 5:34 AM
Got it started. Ended up cutting out all of the wiring that I had originally put in for the kill switch and replacing it.

Whatever it was, it was in that wiring somewhere. Thanks to all that replied for all the help and suggestions.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search