Got towed home tonight - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got towed home tonight
Friday, November 01, 2013 7:47 PM
My daughter was coming home from school and said that the car started to sputter and shudder and then shut off.
She was able to restart it and limp it to the gas station across the street and then called me and I called AAA once I arrived.
I tried to start it and it ran like it had a massive misfire.
Got it home and I tried to start it again and everything was "normal" and it idled fine.
WTH???
It's a 2000 Cavalier LS 2200 atx w/ barely 50k miles on it. Any ideas on what or where to look first? Do I need a scan tool? This my first Chevy so I'm in the dark on what to do first.

Re: Got towed home tonight
Friday, November 01, 2013 9:06 PM
First thing id do is check the codes if there is any.

That usually gets you in the ballpark.

If it doesnt have codes id look into checking the spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, and maybe replace the coils
Saturday, November 02, 2013 5:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. By checking codes I assume you mean w/ a scan tool? Or is there a way, like on many Dodge/Chrysler cars, where you cycle the key 3 times and the codes come up on the dash somewhere?

I just installed new plugs a few weeks ago and the car was running great, but I'll check my work today and check out the rest of the ignition system, too.
Saturday, November 02, 2013 7:01 AM
No with a cav you have to use a scan tool.

I think places like Autozone will do it for free.

But thats only if you have a check engine light on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 02, 2013 7:02 AM
Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:53 PM
Alright, update: it was the plug wires. The check engine light was not on, but the idle was very erratic, from smooth one minute to misfiring the next. The new plugs were tight, so I figured that the 13 year old plug wires (or the coil pack) must be the culprit.
Sure enough, a trip to Auto Zone and $24 later and all is smooth idling now and it runs great.
Thanks for the help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search