Swapping 98-02 2.2 into a 1997 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping 98-02 2.2 into a 1997
Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:23 AM
Possible dumb question here: I'm exploring the possibility of finding a low-miles engine to swap into my car instead of doing a head gasket replacement. I've got a 1997 Cavalier with the 2.2/2200 OHV engine, with about 140,000 KM / 86,000 Miles -- not exactly high miles, so a gasket wouldn't exactly be a waste of time. I want to stay away from 2.4 or Ecotec swaps because I want to keep this simple. I know they made some changes to the 2200 that was used in 1998-2002, before the Ecotec became standard.

So my question is --for the 2200, are the 95-97 ECM and electrical harnesses usable with the 98-02 engines? Or would it be just as complete a swap as trying to use a 2.4 (so that it would at least be an upgrade?) Any other considerations? To be honest, I'm unlikely to be tackling this myself, but I'm trying to make sure I know what's doable. There are some pretty good deals on engines around the wreckers.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Re: Swapping 98-02 2.2 into a 1997
Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:11 AM
Ok I have done this swap before. First the 97 is just a 2.2, not 2200. 98 started the 2200. What I truly recommend is getting a 2200 with engine harness and ECU and putting that in. When we first did it we put a 2000 2200 in a 97. We used the 97 harness and ECU and hard wired the injector harness from a 2200 into the 2.2 harness (not hard very easy). That is the hardest part. Only other issues to work around is some of the sensors have moved between the 2 motors. Coil packs on a 97 are on the back of the block, 2200 it is on the driver's side end of the valve cover. You will have to pull some slack out of the harness to make things reach, but with will work. Again using a 2200 harness and ECU will make it easier (plug and play).

Also we have most of what you need for this, but with your miles I would fix the head gasket.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:49 AM
Thanks for the terminology correction (here I was thinking that it was safe to assume 2200 (cc) and 2.2 (litre) could be used interchangeably to describe the engines, but now I know otherwise ). The details on the swap are greatly appreciated. Since my engine seems otherwise solid, I'm probably going to have to agree with you that it's probably not going to makes sense to open up this can of worms. I was just initially shocked by some of the quotes I got on a head gasket (so far I'm been quoted between $675 and $980), so I started to look at other options. I know its cheaper to do myself -- not likely to happen.

Thanks again!

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:05 PM
Geeky wrote:Thanks for the terminology correction (here I was thinking that it was safe to assume 2200 (cc) and 2.2 (litre) could be used interchangeably to describe the engines, but now I know otherwise ). The details on the swap are greatly appreciated. Since my engine seems otherwise solid, I'm probably going to have to agree with you that it's probably not going to makes sense to open up this can of worms. I was just initially shocked by some of the quotes I got on a head gasket (so far I'm been quoted between $675 and $980), so I started to look at other options. I know its cheaper to do myself -- not likely to happen.

Thanks again!

you got quoted 675-980? damn 675 is a deal to me.. i was quoted well over 900 just for a gasket change. ( all gaskets) so instead im doing it myself. 96 cavi . after im done parts will run about 500 or so.. but then again my car is getting a total redo..

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:11 PM
oh and if you do deside to do it yourself. i would recommend you go ahead and cleanup your engine bay too..

reason for me to get another head.

3 of 4 cylinders had cracks..

but back on topic. if you do choose to do it. i will try to help you as much as i can. just PM me

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:18 AM
Thanks for the additional info and pics of your sweet clean engine bay. (I forgot to check this thread -- sorry for the late response). It looks like I'm going to try and get a few more months out of the leaky gasket before going back to the guy who gave me that low quote. He's been my regular mechanic for years, and I trust him more than most. At the moment, my only problem is an external coolant leak up by the alternator corner of the engine. Nothing seems to be mixing or burning -- yet. I sincerely hope I don't discover cracks like you had.

Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:08 AM
Rather than start a new thread I figured I would just use this one. I am selling my engine to someone who wants to do this, put a 98 2200 in her 97 Cavalier. If they go with a 98+ ECU and harness, is it just the engine harness they need? I doubt they want to rewire the whole car or even to the gauge cluster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search