Is my light switch shot? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is my light switch shot?
Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:59 AM
I have a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT and it seems that the light switch no longer works correctly. When i turn on the lights, it still is only the daytime running lights that are on. Sometimes, the regular lights will kick in, but later on the daytime running lights kick back in. I can hear a sound when they click in and out.. Would this be an easy repair if that is what it is?

Re: Is my light switch shot?
Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:57 AM
you might have the same problem i just had. mine was the same way, when i turned on my lights the drls stayed on but if i forced it a little i could get the low beams to click on. try pulling the lever back a tad as if you were going to put your high beams on. the low beams should kick on. if they do then you dont have a problem with your grounds or relays and it is the switch. i did mine in about 15 mintues. go to autozone or whatever and ask for the headlight switch (with or without cruise). its about 50 bucks.

to install
1) disconnect the negitive battery (if not your horn is going to keep going off everytime you move the switch)
2) remove the (3) 7mm bolts on the steering column cover and remove the top and bottom half of the cover.
3) remove the 7mm bolt on top and the 7mm bolt right behind the steering wheel. the one behind the wheel is pretty hard to get to if you dont have a 7mm wrench
4) unplug the 2 harness'
5) install in oposite order

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:34 AM
have to do this to my sunfire also. good thing my high beams aren't any brighter then the lows.

Quote:

to install
1) disconnect the negitive battery (if not your horn is going to keep going off everytime you move the switch)
2) remove the (3) 7mm bolts on the steering column cover and remove the top and bottom half of the cover.
3) remove the 7mm bolt on top and the 7mm bolt right behind the steering wheel. the one behind the wheel is pretty hard to get to if you dont have a 7mm wrench
4) unplug the 2 harness'
5) install in oposite order

2) my sunfire doesn't have any bolts for the top cover. Its just those push tabs. I can just yank it off.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:53 AM
well yea neither does the cav. just remove the 3 bottom bolts then pull the pieces apart. if it wasnt for the 1 bolt at the bottom you could do it without even removing the bottom half

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:10 PM
Monday, February 25, 2008 7:11 PM
I had tried pulling back on the lever before, which then did cause the low beams to kick in. however, now it just temporarily turns on the high beams for a split second and then goes back to the daytime running lights. Does that also mean that the switch is shot or might it be something else?
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:42 PM
I'm getting ready to replace mine for the 4th time! MY car only has 65,000 miles on it and is only driven in the summer months. Must be a defective design.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:51 PM
i just had to replace my headlight switch not too long ago... dealership wanted $118 for just the switch, could only buy an entire steering column for $50 from a junkyard cause they didn't want to part out a good column. seemed like a no brainer to me. unfortunately, now i don't know what to do with the rest of the steering column.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:01 AM

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:03 PM
My low beams dont work on my '97...the DRL work fine but I have to drive with my Hi-beams. I figured it was the switch so I replaced it and it worked fine for a couple of months then it started doing the same thing again.
Every now and then when I put the turn signal on, I can hear a short in the steering wheel.
I have no idea what could be wrong with it
Friday, March 14, 2008 3:54 PM
cannon fodder wrote:i just had to replace my headlight switch not too long ago... dealership wanted $118 for just the switch, could only buy an entire steering column for $50 from a junkyard cause they didn't want to part out a good column. seemed like a no brainer to me. unfortunately, now i don't know what to do with the rest of the steering column. [/quote

im kinda in need of a steering column i have a 96 2.4L.. let me know whats up]
Friday, August 16, 2013 5:35 AM
I'm finally getting around to trying to fix this ...has there been any new updates on best places to get a headlight switch cheap?

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:44 AM
Do you have to take off the steering wheel to fix this? I found this.. link and that is what he does there, but I didn't think you had to take the steering wheel off.
Monday, November 11, 2013 7:54 AM
Ok ...i found a part for it and i had a place fix it...everything worked great, but......then my horn stopped working. I figured it was a blown fuse, but that was ok. Then I assumed the horn was broken when they fixed the headlight switch (but they claim it wasn't.)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search