Instrument Cluster-F$#&ed - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument Cluster-F$#&ed
Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:32 PM
If anybody can help me out on this... 1999 Z24 Convertible, 4 SPD A/T, A/C, 2.4. If I start the car , all the lights come on in the dash and specifically the theft system, low coolant, oil pressure and battery light stay on, meanwhile the temp gauge will not work. I checked the battery, it's at 12.5 V at start, Alternator is showing 14.6 @ battery when running. Today, I moved the car, as it drives fine... but I'd hear an electronic "click" seemingly come from the dash and then everything would be normal for a second, then go back to not working right. Initially I thought it may be the ground at the battery tray, so I bought a new ground cable and grounded the battery directly to the engine ground. My drivers window is working intermittently too. Really want to save this car as it only has 36000 miles on it, but wife is already pissed that I bought it, so any help is always welcome!

Re: Instrument Cluster-F$#&ed
Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:44 PM
a 99 with 36K on it. There is something you arent telling us. What do you know about the history of the car? was it a flood damaged car or anything like that?
Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:44 PM
Car was a "vacation car" and was kept at a vacation home and was used very little. Literally, 36K miles. Still has the original factory floor mats, all of them in good condition. I've driven it about 200 miles since buying it, it drives great, just this cluster, which seems to be a common problem with no answer on google. I'm going to run a secondary ground to the radiator support to see if that remedies the problem. If grounding isn't the issue, next I'll take out the cluster and see if any connections are loose. If that doesn't do it, I'll take it to a shop or the stealership.
Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:15 PM
You might want to check the ground connection under the battery tray, it's a common problem with these types of symptoms.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, November 11, 2013 4:55 AM
I'm about 90% sure it is a bad ground. Take the cluster out, and clean the cluster connector on the far right of the gauge with rubbing alcohol. Not the large plug, but the smaller one.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 11, 2013 9:07 AM
Since it was stored a lot, a mouse or some other critter could have gotten in there and chewed on a few wires that aren't obvious.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search