P0440 OBD-II Trouble Code On a 2003 Sunfire - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
P0440 OBD-II Trouble Code On a 2003 Sunfire
Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:56 AM
hi guys, i just got this car, and i had scanned it with the torque pro app on my phone. and it gave me a P0440 . i have been driving this car and dont seem anything wrong with it. but im curious as where to start and if it is safe to drive with this code. thanks, shawn

Re: P0440 OBD-II Trouble Code On a 2003 Sunfire
Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:55 AM
"I scanned it and it gave me a P0440 . i have been driving this car and dont seem anything wrong with it. but im curious as where to start and if it is safe to drive with this code. thanks, shawn"

P0440 means it's an evap leak, it can't maintain vacuum. It won't effect drivability but the light will remain on until it is fixed. Won't pass emissions testing.

- Remove the gas cap and check the seal for cracks, tears. Then look at the fuel filler neck. Any corrosion, rust, crack in plastic lip insert ? A gap between the plastic insert & metal pipe can cause a leak.

- Remove the vacuum lines at the purge solenoid valve (next to the power steering reservoir) and check them for cracks. Remove & blow into them, any leaks ?

- Check the vent valve solenoid for corrosion, dirt. (located behind the passenger rear wheel, a rubber hose from the canister is connected to it.)

Also check the 2 pin (pink & white wire) harness ( 6" long) from the vent valve solenoid that feeds to the spare tire area. Is one or more wires broken ?

- Check the canister & lines running to it for cracks. Remove canister and see if any carbon comes out of the two ports. blow into the two lines to check for leaks.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:11 PM
Can hold vacuum but won't effect driveability?? Wrong!

It amazes me to see the technical advice on here anymore..

Some evap monitors work on pressure or vacuum.. Do you know which one this is??

Lol

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replies, i have just went out and bought a new gas cap and put it on and cleared the engine light. If it comes back on i will see more about the other solutions you have gave me. Thanks so much for the info!! and btw, we dont have emissions testing back here fingers crossed it was just the gas cap broke.
Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:37 AM
so the dang engine light came back after two drives. so i guess im going to have to go down that above checklist too see where it may be gone wrong. may even see if i can find a friend or someone to help me with this lol. thanks again for the above info!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search