Ran fine, now won't start??? '04 2.2 Sunfire - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ran fine, now won't start??? '04 2.2 Sunfire
Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:37 AM
Good morning, all!

While at work, wife called saying her car won't start, so she took mine to work. In her words, she said it ran fine, then a few days ago, she noticed that when she starts it, it would turn over and the RPMs wouldn't dip down immediately to idle. She says it would stay around 2500-3000 for an extra second or two, THEN dip back down (due to cold, maybe?)

Anyway, now it won't start. I crank it over, and she just rolls and rolls. I recently changed the oil and filter just before a long 1500mi. round-trip to New Orleans. I checked her oil, and it didn't even register on dipstick. I think I added 2+ qts to it to get it back to where it was. Ugh! I'm hoping we didn't burn out the rings? There wasn't any gradual loss of power, or smoking, or smell of burning oil at all however. So I am to assume the bottom-end is intact? Haven't checked plugs yet, only fuses, and they were fine. I removed stock intake snorkel, and noticed a large settling of brown "frothy" goo in the intake snorkel tho. Had a bit of water in with it too, but the coolant level is fine, and I have Prestone anti-freeze in it, and I only saw water (condensation?) I sprayed with starter fluid, and still no start.

Any ideas? Evap issue? water/ice in fuel line or tank?

Re: Ran fine, now won't start??? '04 2.2 Sunfire
Friday, November 22, 2013 3:55 PM
Well, I troubleshooted the elec, it was fine and spark was sending. I looked at the plugs and they were brown and the electrodes were a bit white'ish.

I got a compression tester and put it on the cylinders, and I was getting 30-40 psi. That's not good when cranking, is it?

I am thinking my oil level got too low and I either cooked the rings, or the valve seals?
Re: Ran fine, now won't start??? '04 2.2 Sunfire
Friday, November 22, 2013 4:25 PM
CORRECTION. I did not perform the compression test (both dry and wet) correctly.

My cylinders avg. 62psi (dry) and 75 psi (wet)

Still too low, isn't it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search