I think my 04 is only running on 2 cylnders - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I think my 04 is only running on 2 cylnders
Friday, November 22, 2013 11:58 AM
So yesterday I drove home from Kingston (about 2 hours) to my gfs house. The car ran fine the whole way and I left her place about an hour after I got their to go home. I started the car and it was running really bad. It sounded like a pissed off weedwacker and the whole car vibrated like crazy. It was 1am and I had work in the morning so I thought what the hell.

I put the car in reverse and backed up and it stalled and did not want to start. It finally started and it was idling at about 500 rpm and would go up to 1000 but then come back down. So I pulled out of her driveway and it had no power whatsoever . And I mean it would take me almost a full minuet to get to 3000 rpm to @!#$ to the next gear, and the clutch would slip bad. It would take me almost 3 mins to get up to 90kms.

I went to the gas station in town and checked the oil and it was at the minimum, so I bought a quart and put it in and filled it up and it still ran like poo. I dtove it home, (about 25 mins) thank god I only have 3 turns cause getting it back up to speed was a bitch. Every time I shifted the clutch slipped bad and the car would jerk.

I don't even know where to start. I'm thinking it could be an issue with the plugs or coiloack? Can anyone give me some advice or a diagnosis? I would like to check for spark but I'm a bit unsure of how you do this because the ecotecs don't have spark plug wires.

My car is an 04 Sunfire 5 speed, I just hit 150 000 kms on it and I bought it at 130 000 (3months ago). I noticed it has been burning/missing about between 1 qt and 1L of oil about every 1000km.

Re: I think my 04 is only running on 2 cylnders
Friday, November 22, 2013 1:08 PM
Probably needs plugs. Thing I would do in order, obviously checking for results after each:

1. Make sure air cleaner is clean and dry
2. Spark Plugs
3. Coil pack/ICM from a junk yard
4. Check fuel pressure
5. Fuel filter
6. Fuel pump

EDIT: Did it throw a check engine light? If so I'd check the codes first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 22, 2013 1:09 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 22, 2013 3:54 PM
Ok so iv done the spark plug test and found that the 2 inner cylinders had no spark. So I got my mom to drive me to town and got 4 NGK LTR5GP's and put the in. No dice. Still running like poop. So I took them all out again and did another spark test and found the 2 inner cylinders still had no spark.
So I'm thinking coil pack? Where exactly is this located? Lmfao :p
Friday, November 22, 2013 4:08 PM
And I know it's not my fuel pump or filter cause I can hear my fuel pump when I turn the key and I changed the filter when I bought the car.
Is the coil pack on the ecotec the thing with the heatsink on the end of the black plug cover that says ecotec 2.2?
Friday, November 22, 2013 7:03 PM
ICM issue?

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:24 PM
Icm can be bought anywhere. Coil packs good luck I tried 8 even one from the dealer and the car wouldn't start. Best bet for those is the junkyard. I would try the icm it's only 3 screws.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, November 23, 2013 3:10 PM
So I went to the juskyard today and bought a new icm and coilpack. Spent about an hour climbing over cars until I found an ecotec. She purrs like a kitten now thanks guys!!
Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:14 PM
after reinstalling my motor and harness after rebuilding the wrecked car (05 cavi) it was idling very low, and had a miss so bad the shake of the engine would shake the inside of the car, i checked my spark, good, my air, good, fuel pressure was 60psi, i pulled the rail and watched the injectors spray only 2 were spraying, it was the plug on the ecu(the one on the firewall) if that is the correct name, the plug was on fine but the locking clip wasnt snapped down, which caused 2 injectors not to get a signal. its a long shot but try pusing on the clips to see if they lock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search