Car Reving while driving - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Reving while driving
Monday, November 25, 2013 11:29 AM
I don't know if this be discussed already and I tried using the search didn't find anything. So I have a 2door base model 04 cav and when I was driving one day it reved up to about 4k by itself and then died, no problem cut back on. then it happened again another day but this time it killed the battery so I got it towed to a mechanic and they couldn't find anything wrong they just jumped the battery. I let them drive it around until it came up again. they called me and said it could be my fuel pump. I thought about it and I remember before it messed up at start up it would stay and 2rpm for a while before going down. can anybody help me?

Re: Car Reving while driving
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:27 AM
Sticky throttle cable? Major vacuum leak?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:51 AM
I asked the guy if it was a vacuum leak and he said he was sure it was the fuel pump. I just don't want to pay all that money and it not be the probem
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:20 AM
I have no idea how it could possibly be the fuel pump. More fuel without enough air would make the motor flood out and stop not rev up. Air leaks cause the issues you're describing.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:26 PM
I would second that, a fuel pump would never cause your engine to rev by itself. I would probably not take it back to them as they don't know what there talking about. The complaint your describing sounds like a idle air control valve problem or air intermittent vacuum leak or sticking throttle body as y3llow cav stated. If you are unsure id suggest maybe a GM dealer as they are certified and can properly diagnose the problem. Good luck! let us know what you find.
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:06 PM
So the problems yall think I have could cause the car to die. there was no power left in the battery after it died. I wont be able to take it to a dealership unless I get it towed.
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:11 PM
Oh and while it was reving while I was driving it wasn't speeding up it was kinda like I was reving in neutral but I wasn't I was in 5th. sorry if im not making any sense, but thanks for the input.
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:31 AM
you ever get it looked at just wondering?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search