Blower Motor Hardware? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blower Motor Hardware?
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:56 AM
I'm replacing my blower motor and resistor and I noticed that after removing the factory plastic rivets there were no screws/bolts to mount the new motor back in. Does anyone know the specs of the screws? I will probably have to go to the hardware store to find them, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific size or thread I needed. I also had the problem with the aftermarket motors having the wrong plugs, but I ended up ordering a GM motor for a bit extra money. Any info is greatly appreciated. It's a tad bit cold in Cincinnati, Ohio at this time of year... lol

Re: Blower Motor Hardware?
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:33 PM
Ive never done a blower motor on that year cavalier but Ive never seen plastic rivets holding them in. there always bolts or screws holding them in. you could always get self tapping screws if you going into plastic
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:07 PM
Alex C wrote:Ive never done a blower motor on that year cavalier but Ive never seen plastic rivets holding them in. there always bolts or screws holding them in. you could always get self tapping screws if you going into plastic

The 03 and up has just plastic welded rivets. Dumbest thing ever.

I have to do the same one day and my plan was to cut them off and then pre-drill holes and use some hex head self drillers.
Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:29 PM
Philly D wrote:
Alex C wrote:Ive never done a blower motor on that year cavalier but Ive never seen plastic rivets holding them in. there always bolts or screws holding them in. you could always get self tapping screws if you going into plastic

The 03 and up has just plastic welded rivets. Dumbest thing ever.

I have to do the same one day and my plan was to cut them off and then pre-drill holes and use some hex head self drillers.

There are actually holes where screws should go so you wont need to pre-drill. At least there were in mine. I assumed the screws would come with the new motor, but that's not the case. I just got #10 Hex Head Self-Tapping Screws 3/4". I tried #8 and they were slightly too small. I'm sure #12 would work as well. Might even be better, but the #10 has been holding up for a few days now and I've been blasting the heat so it looks like they'll be just fine.

Thursday, October 01, 2020 6:16 PM
Has anyone figured out the actual size of the bolt? I don't really feel like spending $20+ on 3 little bolts...
Friday, October 02, 2020 12:53 AM
Ben Stenson wrote:Has anyone figured out the actual size of the bolt? I don't really feel like spending $20+ on 3 little bolts...
Sunburst04cav said #10 Hex Head Self-Tapping Screws 3/4" worked well. You can buy them individually at Ace or True Value Hardware, for just a few cents each. They should have stainless steel ones too, for a little more.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search