Cooling system bleeder - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cooling system bleeder
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:25 AM
I just put anti freeze in my motor after a swap and there is a bunch of air in the system and we can't get it out. Is there a bleeder on the 03 cavalier? And if so where is it?

Re: Cooling system bleeder
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:07 AM
leave overflow cap off...let system run...will self bleed.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:44 PM
Tried that a bit ago. Still nothing also fan runs all the time
Monday, December 02, 2013 10:21 PM
Nathen Zook wrote:I just put anti freeze in my motor after a swap and there is a bunch of air in the system and we can't get it out. Is there a bleeder on the 03 cavalier? And if so where is it?

I don't know it it's the same on an '03 Cavalier or all engines but on a lot of these cars there is an air bleeder on the metal pipes that the heater hoses connect to. I think it's on the return line near the coils on a 2.2 OHV.
Monday, December 02, 2013 10:30 PM
Your heater core lines are suppose to criss cross and make a X. If you have them running parrelle, it will not bleed. I made this mistake.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, December 03, 2013 10:44 AM
Nathen Zook wrote:Tried that a bit ago. Still nothing also fan runs all the time

Pull the codes and see what is making the fan run. Unless you have the A/C turned on.. that will also do it.
Tuesday, December 03, 2013 10:50 AM
As of right now, I'm gonna try a new thermostat. It only holds about 1.5 gallons of coolant and it needs double that. So I figured the thermostat is stuck closed
Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:23 PM
replace the thermo, and seriously just let it idle...its how i worked all my air out 3 or 4 times...every once in a while sqwwwwwzing the upper rad hose just to push fluid a bit more.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:42 PM
Like I said, if you need the swap, you probably didnt put the heater core hoses on correctly. They must cross each other or it won't self bleed.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:16 PM
Have you turned the defrost on and switched it from cool to hot? This opens the thermostat. I had to swap my radiator & had trapped a bunch of air in the system (noob i know). I had to let it bleed for 10 mins then it burped the air out (shook the car pretty good!) and has been running fine since then.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:55 PM
The knob doesn't open the thermostat. There is always coolant flowing through the heater core. The thermostat only opens by temperature.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search