excessively rich... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
excessively rich...
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:19 AM
Hey there was wondering if anyone could help out with this one I'll try n get some.videos up later. When it first starts it runs ridiculously rich, white smoke like no tommoro... Then when it warms up it still runs a little rich but not so bad. It can accelerate slowly and free rev just fine but if u take off normally then snap down the throttle it'll just bog right out then just kick and launch my roommate said he saw flames out the exhaust. Also my tach lags like it'll rev and go back down to idle then it registers on the tach. I have reason to believe it could be the o2 sensors or could it be something else? I've relocated my battery to the trunk too dont know if this would have affected that but I dont think so I used like 8 gauge wire. Finally I've got a coolant light and CEL on waiting a buddy so I can give it a scan...

Re: excessively rich...
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:21 AM
I thought it could possibly be the PCM that went bad as well? Any help would be appreciated.
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:37 AM
I wouldnt use anything smaller than 4awg on a battery relocate. I had to do an additional ground, from the alternator bracket to the body is where i chose. This helped bring the voltages up to 14.4 when running again.

White smoke is coolant/water coming out. How do you know its "running rich"? Do you have a wideband on it?

Given a coolant light, running crappy, and white smoke I would say you have a headgasket issue.

Dont start jumping to conclusions until you read the codes in the PCM.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:45 AM
Yes I have a wide band but I think its rich because all u can smell is raw fuel and it only puffs white when its cold when it warms up it stops. And its the kinda white smoke you'd get from running super rich. I dont think its the head gasket cuz it doesn't consume oil or coolant. And I freshly changed both oil and coolant and neither where mixed together. After a little research I've got it down to the fuel filter or TPS, also could be that combined with bad spark I have a feeling the spark isnt all that great either. Car has 270xxx on it.
Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:57 AM
If it's not misfiring, the problem could be that the temperature sensor (not the thermostat) is reading out of range. If the car's computer thinks that it's cold, then the computer will feed the car a rich fuel mixture. Unfortunately, I don't think that there's any easy do-it-yourself way to test the temperature sensor so you might either need to take it to a shop to test or just gamble and replace it.

If you don't fix it quickly you can destroy your catalytic converter. (You may have already.)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search