EVAP CEL? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EVAP CEL?
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:53 PM
So this cursed light has been on since I got the car, 7,000 miles ago. So my auto shop teacher told me it's likely the purge valve solenoid and so I replaced that and resetted the computer by unhooking the battery. And it stayed off for a while and I thought, "cool, I fixed it!" Until exactly 78.3 miles on the trip odometer, the light came on again. Does anybody know what parts that commonly fails on 02' Cavaliers? My Auto tech class doesn't have an EVAP system tester, nor does my local repair shop. (I know). If I don't get it off soon, I'm gonna take apart the Sunfire cluster I have, cover the CEL with black tape, and install it in my car. Any ideas?

Re: EVAP CEL?
Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:19 AM
taping the light doesnt fix the problem.

try the purge in the engine bay, try replacing the gas cap, take a look at the canister/lines by the fuel tank, and/or drop the tank and look for any loose or cracked lines.

Or take it to a dealer to test.

I battled this issue for 2 years. replaced the cap 3 times, and the purge twice before i decided to test it. smoke was pouring from the top of the tank area. come to find out, a line was unplugged between the canister and the tank. I only discovered it after dropping the tank to replace the gasket that i thought was the issue.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:58 AM
I just fixed one of these... it was the hose and plastic part that clips to the body near the gas tank..

Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:11 PM
I just replaced the canister purge valve solenoid and while the MPG was better, the light came on. I replaced the gas cap twice, and I replaced the hose that connects the purge valve to the canister. Light still came on. And purge in the engine bay? Mind giving me more info? I haven't checked that area yet, I thought all or most of the EVAP system is near the tank...but thanks for the replies guys!
Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:49 PM
It's what I would call a vent box for the canister...has a big hose and is up in the body if I remember right...

Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:10 PM
Left or right rear?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search