Stalling until hot - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stalling until hot
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:37 PM
Okay, so my 2001 sunfire have been stalling lately, (only does it in winter). It starts up and dies if I don't give gas which makes it run real rough until it reaches the 90 degrees. After it is hot it runs fine and do not stalls until I let it sit and tries to start it back up. I've seen on this forum the temp sensor can be the culprit when it is the contrary of my issue. I've had problems with wiring before, and had to change the wires going to the temp sensor and some other wires that had just gone corroded under the bumper. Could it be something related again to the wiring?

Re: Stalling until hot
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:19 PM
I'm no expert but it sounds like it could be your temperature sensor. I had the exact opposite problem (stalled only when hot) which I fixed with a new temperature sensor (not thermostat) but the principle is the same. The car's computer should feed a richer fuel mixture to the engine when it's cold (like a choke in the old days of carburetors). If the computer isn't doing that then then the temperature sensor seems like the likely culprit. If the wires were broken then the computer would get no information about the temperature. I guess it's possible that would lead the computer to a default action of treating the engine as if it were hot, but I'm doubtful of that. Can you put an OBDII reader on it and see what the computer thinks the temperature is?
Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:32 PM
IT doesn't always do it but right now the tools are at my parents, which I will prob get to this weekend. My car has never had the check engine lit, even if it was throwing codes. Since last year I had a evap code thrown but I could never tell unless I hooked up a scanner. We changed the temp sensor last year, which made no effect, which led me to drive with the scanner hooked and saw the drop of the reading, which prompt to the corroded wiring near the computer in the bumper. my temp gauge seems to be working has normal. I also know one sensor on the throttle body was changed for nothing, has it was the wiring and connector that was corroded inside (changed the connector and part of the wires going to it). I get my car is a lost cause ahaha.
Friday, December 13, 2013 9:19 AM
Since you changed the temperature sensor within the last year, then I guess it's not that. I guess it could be that the connector or wiring is so corroded that it's increasing the resistance. Or some other sensor is feeding the computer bad information. Maybe time for a professional.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:23 PM
I think it is now solved, as it finally threw a code when it stalled for P0300 random misfire, to which I bought new spark plugs wires and it didn't hesitate since. Yayy
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search