Transmission bracket cut into brake lines - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission bracket cut into brake lines
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:42 AM
I tried searching for this on here, but the search function hates me. Anyway, don't know if anyone has run into this, but I lost brakes in my 2000 Cavalier 2.2 yesterday and after getting it jacked up and messing with it, found out the transmission bracket has cut into two of them like a saw blade over time and also wore a notch into the transmission bracket itself. If this is a common problem, sorry for bringing it up again, but it might be worth a look with a light on your car to see if your brake lines are rubbing that transmission bracket. Now, I get to replace the rear lines. Awesome!

2000 2.2 3 speed 2-door, Stock...

Re: Transmission bracket cut into brake lines
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:09 AM
3 speed auto or 4 speed auto?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:56 AM
3 speed auto. I was just told that the lines cannot be spliced because of the high pressure. I've spliced lines before on older cars with no problem, but not this new, so I don't know.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:06 AM
If its rear lines, I would splice them. Heck my truck is running a copper rear brake line from the master.

But this is a beater truck that was free.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:15 AM
Update: well, my father calls me since I took it over to his place (closer to work) and borrowed his car. He said only one line is cut and that the outer sheath is the only thing cut on the other one. So, now I'm down to one line at least. The problem is, I can't even find a replacement line anywhere online (the whole line). There is no way I'm going to a junkyard and spend a day and a half getting out a (maybe) good one. Then, do it all over again on my car and fight installing another one. Too much work for a car that's worth 750.00 at best. If I can't splice it, I'm considering putting a pipe plug in the LR port and say the heck with it and drive it like that, but I don't know how it will act with one port plugged off.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:35 AM
lol sounds like exactly what i ran into with my truck.

1/4" copper tube from home depot and flare fittings FTW!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:00 PM
Fixed! I just got a 3/16" compression splice and since the rear lines are lower pressure, worked perfectly. Was a real pain to get in there to it, but it seems to hold. Also, got the lines off of the transmission bracket and secured back away from it. It wore a heck of a jagged notch in that long bracket from years of rubbing. Honestly it's worth getting a light and shining down under your ABS and looking to see if your brake lines are resting against the transmission bracket. If they are, better get them away now.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:11 PM
May I suggest going to napa next time since they carry a full array of brake lines that are already for install.Granted you may have to adjust and or use a flare kit to achieve said fit.Napa def sells 3/16 as that is what I had to use on new rear brake lines on my mazda truck 2yrs ago.I bent all my lines with the tool for a touch under 18.00.The eastwood company sells one that can do some crazy bends unlike the one I bought.Also the brake line stuff is on one of those rolling carts on the floor for ease of checking and size etc.I used the polymer line so NO rust ever!

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:07 PM
Ron Love wrote:May I suggest going to napa next time since they carry a full array of brake lines that are already for install.Granted you may have to adjust and or use a flare kit to achieve said fit.Napa def sells 3/16 as that is what I had to use on new rear brake lines on my mazda truck 2yrs ago.I bent all my lines with the tool for a touch under 18.00.The eastwood company sells one that can do some crazy bends unlike the one I bought.Also the brake line stuff is on one of those rolling carts on the floor for ease of checking and size etc.I used the polymer line so NO rust ever!

If this car were a lot nicer, I probably would have just run a new line, but it's cold and snow everywhere and I can't have it down right now. I've only hung onto it because I drive it on rainy days and in snow and ice. I have a nice '89 Firebird that is my regular daily driver. This car is just a good beater. Sadly, it's just falling apart cosmetically. The whole dash is about to crumble and almost all the paint is gone off the top surfaces. Surprisingly, no rot or rust anywhere and it has 186,000 miles on it with factory engine and transmission. I maintain it well, but it's just sad to look at. I'll drive it til it's completely unrepairable. It's got a good solid body and underbody, so I may have it repainted next year, but I'm going to have to find a whole new dash for it. The last time I had the top off, I lost count of all the cracks inside all around the body of the dash and the front panel is just completely falling apart. Cheap plastics. I've never owned a car where so much dash stuff has fallen apart. It just wasn't worth running a whole new line. So far, the compression fitting is holding, every wheel was bled and it's just like it was, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search