My window doesn't always roll up. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My window doesn't always roll up.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:34 PM
04 Sunfire, passenger window was working fine for a few weeks, but recently there is only a 5% chance of it rolling back up, even immediately after rolling it down. However, I can always roll it down more, so the motor seems not be broken. Is this a common issue, maybe bad grounds? I think a stock motor costs around $40, but I read those fail often, an after market one is $80 or so, but I don't want to pay that much. I could swap in crankers, they just mount up on the same bracket?

Re: My window doesn't always roll up.
Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:00 PM
You probably need to replace the motor for your power window. Power window motors don't completely fail-- they just get weaker. And since it takes more effort to fight gravity by raising the window, you'll typically find that you have little to no problem lowering the window, but difficulty raising it. When the motor fails and you try to raise the window, it'll typically go up a bit and then stop. Then if you wait a minute or so (for the thermal breaker to reset), it'll raise up a bit more and then stop. If that happens then it's definitely your motor. Otherwise, if it won't raise up at all, then it's possible that it's your switch. (See link at bottom.) You could test that by removing the switch and manually connecting the wires so see if that drives the window up.

Following are instructions that I wrote on how to replace the power window motor on my 2-door 1996 Cavalier convertible. These instructions may vary a bit from your model, but they should serve as a very useful guideline if you want to do the job yourself. I'd recommend reading through the comments because I ended up modifying the instructions a bit later when somebody pointed out that you don't actually have to remove window to do the job; you just need to raise and clamp (or tape) it in the up position while you remove the motor and regulator. Later in the comments is also a link to instructional photos (because the picture links in the original post died).

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=168060&t=127755&p=1

Power window motors are only about $25 online. You might pay $35 or so at a local auto parts store. Good enough and will likely last as long as the originals.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-742-150-Window-Lift-Motor/dp/B000IZ2YTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386884907&sr=8-1&keywords=power+window+motor+2004+sunfire

Just in case, here's a link to a post that I wrote on how to diagnose and possible repair your switch. (Again for a 1996 Cavalier, but probably largely applicable to your car.)
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=136769&t=136769

Good luck!
Re: My window doesn't always roll up.
Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:52 AM
Thanks for the response! I ordered that motor and I'll install it in a few days with my new speakers.
Any idea which bolts I should get to secure the motor into the door? I assume zip ties won't work.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search