05 sunfire couple of issues - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 sunfire couple of issues
Monday, December 09, 2013 6:28 PM
So some background:
2005 sunfire 2.2 ecotec picked it up at auction its a 5spd, 106000kms pretty good cosmetic shape and I am pretty familiar with the older gms like cavalier and sunbirds. Here are the issues am having and you can tell me if I am on the right track:
1) heavy dash vibration when letting off the clutch and giving it a little gas,especially when shifting into 5th at about 80-90 km/h and also when first starting the car, I am thinking a bad motor mount at this point causing the issue correct me if I am wrong as I do not have another one to compare it to at the moment. The upper right mount seems to be sagging slightly.
2) rear defrost not working last I remember there is a plug at the bcm that tends to burn the pin out for it which I still need to check out
3) front left speaker not working (Not sure if its at the molex connector or speaker to cold here in saskatoon to check it at the moment lol
4) cooling fan code popping up every now and again am going to check out the fuse and relay later this week, its to cold to worry about it at the moment lol.

Re: 05 sunfire couple of issues
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:43 AM
When it's cold these cars tend to vibrate relatively bad. Just a gm econobox problem. Can't hurt to check the mounts. There may even be an upgraded polyurethane mount making the vibrations.

Sounds like you're on the right track with everything else. Keep us posted.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:31 PM
well got the fan issue fixed, found a blown 30amp maxi fuse, replaced it and she is good to go, next on the agenda is the front right speaker but that will have to wait until I can get it into a heated shop to check it out. I priced out mounts today and I could not believe what they wanted for the upper mount here it is 232 bucks cdn here, pretty funny as i can get it online for about $90 bucks. I am off for a few days so I may tackle some of the issues on my days off here to get this thing in tip top shape and get everything working. Out of curiosity has anyone added power windows and locks to a car without one? I know with fords all the wiring is there from the doors into the body you just need the door harness to make it work anyone know if the wiring is up to the door molex already like it is with fords?
Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:48 PM
Well speaker is repaired for the front door drivers door, ended up being a loose connection at the speaker, another problem fixed. To bad the speakers sound like crap, can't put any bass to them so time to add a sub.
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:07 PM
well weather warmed up and the heavy vibration has disappeared, odd because I have not run into that before unless the mount rubber is really stiff at -20ish celsius. The windsheild wash motor problem I encountered is fixed, found a loose connection at the pump, the plug was not pushed all the way in. Got the rear defrost working today as well, bypassed the plug and its good to go. All issues fixed and now time to move onto other things.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search