LD9 Cooling system advice - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 Cooling system advice
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:52 AM
So last night I had a major coolant system leak. Checked rad hoses, heater hoses, everything looked good, I was starting to get worried and think it was a head gasket. But kept looking, pull the upper rad hose outlet neck, and it was deteriorated where the o ring goes, this was good news to me, seems like an easy/cheap fix. I was meaning on changing the coolant and maybe thermostat before this happened but never got around to it, the car has over 200000km (125000miles) and I don't think anything has ever been done to it. I know if Im in traffic on a summer day, the temp creeps up a bit before the rad fans kick in, also, the engine will be normal operating temp and if you pop the hood, you kind of smell the hot/burnt oil/coolant smell. Then engine always seems to be very warm. Not sure if the coolant system has been working properly before or not, but I figured since I lost most of my coolant, might as well get in there and fix/replace other stuff. I have looked through many other threads and found some useful info but just looking for some more advice. Onto some questions....

1. Is the GM water outlet neck the preferred one, it seems like others have leaked after few days?

2. Should I stick with 180* thermostat, someone else suggested a 160* thermostat in a different thread?

3. Is there any other preventive maintenance a guy can do? I was thinking of changing rad hose's, they don't look bad but are showing some signs of age?

I was going to call Napa or Dash but are the GM parts preferred? GM only has outlet housing, temp sensor on housing and rad cap, everything else is special order. I could try calling around to other GM dealerships.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Re: LD9 Cooling system advice
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:22 PM
Well just bought everything, water housing with o rings, 180* stant superstat and seal, rad cap, coolant temp sensor, upper&lower rad hoses, coolant.

I was thinking of changing the heater hoses too but it has that "H" by-pass valve and the one on my car has the style of clamps you see on cv boots. I didn't really wanted to mess with it, I was hoping to find a complete unit with all 4 hoses and the valve ready to go but cant seem to find one. Just the 4 separate hoses. I was just wondering if this by pass valve is needed? I found on a different thread why a guy with a turbo removed it but not sure if it would matter removing it on my car and just putting a straight piece of 3/4" heater hose instead. I will continue to search but can't find anything besides that guy with a turbo. Any advice would be great. Thanks

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search