Weird Ticking/Grinding - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird Ticking/Grinding
Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:27 PM
Now, I am not that much informed on what makes what sounds when it comes to the under carriage/body and/or suspension.

So that being said, I am experiencing a weird grinding/ticking sound when I turn my wheel to the right. Its only when it goes more than 50% complete wheel rotation.
It sometimes happens when turning left but very rarely. This just started happening every since we got like 3 inches of snow here in Vancouver 3 days ago. Car drives and steers fine just makes that weird sound and its only noticeable during parking and very slow turns going like 10 km/h. It sounds like it is coming from the steering column itself but that might be my ears playing tricks on me who knows. Also I can replicate the sound by just rotating the steering wheel while I am completely still.

Just curious if anyone ever experienced this before I spend money on getting it looked at.

Thanks.

Re: Weird Ticking/Grinding
Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:32 PM
Its either a strut mount or your steering universal.

First thing id do is get under the dash and pull the boot back on the steering column. You will see a small universal. Check that its tight and then spray lube it. That usually fixes it.

Maybe its time to swap to a tilt column while your at it
Saturday, January 04, 2014 12:05 PM
So I solved it.

I decided to just swap my new struts into the front as well as new strut mounts.
My old strut mount on my drivers side had about a 1 inch crack threw the bushing section (99 style strut mount) so that's what i believe the problem was.
Also my front struts were useless as well. I have my AGXs on there now (with eibach sportlines) and the front of my vehicle is suuuuper stiff now even set at 1/4.
Everything was perfect sound wise after i installed no noises or anything just really bad toe. (1.45)
Got the alignment done and steering wheel straightened. Set toe to (0.15 setting total)
and now i have some weird tiny tiny squeak coming from my front struts when going over small bumps.

So yea. That's where it was at currently. No more ticking, but now strut area squeaking.
Sunday, January 05, 2014 4:05 PM
Oh wow, now all of a sudden after my alignment , I have a loud ticking noise that gets faster with acceleration.
Only guess is my cv axle or maybe wheel bearing. Super angry right now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search