2003 2.2 Sunfire T-stat replacement question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 2.2 Sunfire T-stat replacement question
Monday, December 16, 2013 2:28 PM
Hi I have a low heat issue with the Sunfire, I'm going to replace the T-stat, I have read a few posts and viewed pictures of the placement but was just wondering why the exhaust manifold needs to be removed for the automatic equipped. I read on on post just the heat shield removed will be enough.
Has anybody changed the T-stat on one of these 2.2 ecotecs with auto trans and found a trick to it, I really do not wish to to remove the flange bolts if I don't have to, thanks for any tips.

Re: 2003 2.2 Sunfire T-stat replacement question
Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:16 AM
Steve,

I don't know the plumbing on the ECO engine or the automatic but if it's anything like a 2000 2.2 OHV 5spd you should be able to start the car (cold) and feel the hose on the radiator side of the thermostat. If it starts getting warm before the engine is fully up to temp I'd say the thermostat is your issue but if it stays cold until the car reaches temp and then quickly heats up it's probably okay and you have another issue.
Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:56 AM
Thanks for that but the 03 is much different than that, I was able to drain the rad, remove the heat shield on the exhaust manifold then removed the 2 bolts from the T-stat flange, I removed the nuts from the exhaust manifold and moved it back on the studs just enough to move the pipe bac and down out of the way, I replace the T-stat and put everything back in reverse order, filled the expansion tank 3 times let it bubble down then started the car, lots of heat now at 90 degrees Cel. or 185 degrees F.
There are now leaks, I did not need new O-rings on the tube from the water pump to the T-stat housing. all is well!!
Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:56 PM
I changed one in a saturn one time, and I didnt remove the exhaust manifold, but the saturns have more room behind the motor than the j's do.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, December 23, 2013 2:49 PM
I lucked out and did this change from the top of the engine! Ahhh heat finally!!
Monday, December 23, 2013 6:50 PM
Nice work!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search