Headlight trouble shooting/ new wiring diagram? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headlight trouble shooting/ new wiring diagram?
Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:37 AM
What's that black box with four black wires right under the battery try with one 10mm bolt holding it on?

A couple of weeks ago I sold my 2000 Sunfire 2.2 to a friend of mine who'd wrecked his car. Everything was fine for a few days and then the headlights stopped working. I've known this car since 2006 and owned it since 2008 and there was never a lighting issue so I had some catching up to do. I did a lot of reading and decided the problem was probably in the headlight harness so we checked that out.

Man, I'm just going to make this short. We checked the harness, all the wires seemed fine but the connector near the battery had quite a bit of corrosion. We cleaned up the terminals and jumpered one orange wire that had weakened terminals on both sides of the plug. It gets kind of fuzzy from here because I haven't been there the whole time but as it is now the whole plug has been cut out and jumpered, the wires triple checked that they match up and currently only the high beams work. No low, no DRL. At least the headlights only come on at all in the High position, I can't be sure of the circuit at this point.

Since the turn signals and marker lights work and we've spent the better part of a week dicking around with this I think the thing to do is just use a couple of relays and run new wires for the High and Low. If anyone has a diagram of a simple circuit for this or any other input it would be appreciated.

I feel bad that my friend is having all these problems I never had with the car and I want to help him fix it (he really likes the car) but I've driven more then 350 miles in the last week just between his house and mine. I can't afford the gas to keep helping! ...and guy needs his car for work.

Re: Headlight trouble shooting/ new wiring diagram?
Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:55 AM
Macmatic wrote:What's that black box with four black wires right under the battery try with one 10mm bolt holding it on?

It's a ground pack.. all the wires come together to a common ground. The headlights are negative switched, with a constant positive. Take out the bulbs and see if you have power there (check with a multimeter, put the black lead to the battery negative or ground to check). If you have power at each headlight, then the feeds are good. The headlight switch controls the negative feed, if you don't have that then the switch is bad.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search